my neice. 2nd/3rd upload.

fi0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok. SO.. I've come to the conclusions that anything remotely still i'm good with taking pictures. But if it comes to a baby who JUST DOESNT WANT TO SIT STILL. it doesnt work. I know its probably annoying but i dont know how to increase the shutter speed? Point and shoot makes people who are new in the DSLR world a lil bit slow.

comments. advice. critique.

thank youuuu :D

DSC_0862.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

DSC_0794.jpg

DSC_0791.jpg

DSC_0785.jpg

DSC_0740.jpg

DSC_0716.jpg

i forgot to photoshop my sister in laws hand outta this one sorryyy :(

DSC_0689.jpg

I love number 6 shes a cute kid.
I also love taking pictures of my neices and nephews and read once that if you stick alittle bit of sitcky tape to the babies finger or foot they will sit for a while trying to get the tape off while you snap away.
I tried this and it does work for the most part although now my neices and nephews are to big to try it now but its great for kids your neices age.

Everyone starts somewhere :) I'm still learning how to get the best results, but I finally know ALL of my camera settings and dials. Read your book, it will tell you things specific about YOUR camera.

If you move your dial to the "S", this is shutter priority mode. Then, you can say what shutter speed you want and the camera will adjust the apperature accordingly for correct exposure. This is a good way to start learning some of the more manual settings without going full manual.

You probably want 125 or above for a baby (I'm guessing).

By the way, cute kiddo!

By the way, I am guessing that the rooms you are in aren't lit very well. If you don't use your flash, this is why it wants to use such a slow shutter speed...

I JUST got my speedlight, it is so nice to not have to make the choice of slow shutter speed or crappy on camera flash!

Elsapet on this board recommends using the flash backwards if you have an external. This way you get good lighting without washing out your subject. Will that help?

She is such a cutey!

I like #7 but the slight head crop is just bothering me.

You got some awesome equipment!! D80 is a nice piece of hardware along with that lens.
I'm trying to figure out why your having a focusing issue with all your other photos.
your auto focus motor might be off or your lens might need some work.

I like #7 but the slight head crop is just bothering me.

You got some awesome equipment!! D80 is a nice piece of hardware along with that lens.
I'm trying to figure out why your having a focusing issue with all your other photos.
your auto focus motor might be off or your lens might need some work.

lol i'm EXTREMELY new to DSLRs so i'm pretty much winging it.
i've been studying the manual like i have an exam so i'm learning pretty quickly.

Some good composition on the shots but the shutter speeds need to be quicker to ensure they are sharp.

Keep up the good work!

man, you have a d80? I'd love that setup.

anywho...I'd like number one the best if Mickey weren't in it and you used a slightly faster shutter speed.

The expression is really charismatic.

7 is the best of the bunch, if you could PP that water value out. Can you post your exif data? You have a lot of issues here, the biggest being the blur. Are you shooting in one of the auto presets? I know you are new at this, but I would get off those as fast as possible and start shooting with A, P or S. P is easy enough and then you can work your way up from there to A, then S.

Your camera has an awesome 'brain' and you should be able to dial in a good A setting and let the camera work out a good shutter speed. Or vice versa - dial in a good S and let the camera select the A. P mode will do both for you.

Sorry if I rambled on, I hope this helps you. It would help a lot if you could post your settings.

Oh forgot to add that your composition is good, if you could just work out the technical issues. I know tons of people that have the opposite problem, you can learn technical issues, but you can't teach composition.

7 is the best of the bunch, if you could PP that water value out. Can you post your exif data? You have a lot of issues here, the biggest being the blur. Are you shooting in one of the auto presets? I know you are new at this, but I would get off those as fast as possible and start shooting with A, P or S. P is easy enough and then you can work your way up from there to A, then S.

Your camera has an awesome 'brain' and you should be able to dial in a good A setting and let the camera work out a good shutter speed. Or vice versa - dial in a good S and let the camera select the A. P mode will do both for you.

Sorry if I rambled on, I hope this helps you. It would help a lot if you could post your settings.

i was actually shooting with completely manual. I found it difficult to use anything else? I'm probably just gonna read up on the APS AND M settings to see exactly which one would work better for me.

thank you so much for your critique though. I really appreciate it. I've always had a passion for photography but its an expensive hobby / career that i couldn't afford until now.

Thanks again! :mrgreen:

i was actually shooting with completely manual. I found it difficult to use anything else? I'm probably just gonna read up on the APS AND M settings to see exactly which one would work better for me.

thank you so much for your critique though. I really appreciate it. I've always had a passion for photography but its an expensive hobby / career that i couldn't afford until now.

Thanks again! :mrgreen:

Ah, that makes some sense now. I'm going to give you a trick, when you shoot in 'M', look into the viewfinder - I'm assuming you know how to change the shutter speed and aperture - when you are shooting a young child, keep the speed no slower than 1/60, in order to get the appropriate aperture, there is a graph in the viewfinder, if you see the lines of the graph way to the left or right, then 'dial' in the aperture until you only see one line in the middle. That will tell you the appropriate combination for exposure based on the camera's sensor.

I hope that makes sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back