My New B-Day Present

jakedoza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jamsessionphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my Fiancee totally surprised me and bought me a new canon 40D camera. I am so excited to start shooting with this and have so much more to learn.

Hey Jake,
Congrats, that's awesome. There will be a big learning curve from a point and shoot to an SLR though, so be patient and feel free to ask any questions you may have along the way. I highly suggest the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson to begin with. Also, I would suggest that you only shoot in color and since you like B&W, convert to it, post process.

Good luck!

Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I have already run into some walls it feels like, but I used the manual settings on my point and shoot camera so I have somewhat of an understanding on that part. Still there is a lot to learn. I also do like what you said about shooting in color and then changing it in post process. You are not the first to tell me that.. since then I have been shooting in color only.
Anyone have a suggestion on a good portrait lens?

50mm f/1.8, great buy for only like 100 bills

^Less than that!

See, us Canon users get our lenses 20% cheaper!! ;)

Great present! Does she have a twin sister in ireland?

hahaha.. unfortunately not.

I think I'm going to aim for that 50mm lens, unless I can find a good zoom lens with that low of an aperture.
I would also like to get a good macro and wide angle lens... any suggestions?

The Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro is a great macro lens and a good portrait lens as well at about $470. The Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro also gets good reviews and is a little cheaper at about $350.

I just bought the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM wide angle lens after reading about 100 reviews on this one and others in its price range (I paid about $460 for mine). I just got back from a Arizona/Utah vacation and it was the perfect lens for the magnificent vistas out there.

If you are looking for ultra wide angle, check out the Sigma 10-20mm, it's about 200 cheaper than the canon version.

Canon is offering $35 rebate for the Canon 100mm Macro, you can't go wrong with this lens if you want to do macro. This lens got great reviews and i am planning to get one soon.

Thanks guys.. Ill definitely take your suggestions into consideration. Now.. which lens to purchase first...
I have a Maternity shoot coming up, but I also have a cruise in less than 3 weeks.. I'm thinking that the lens I have now will be ok for the maternity shoot, especially it being a good friend of mine. I really want a good lens for the cruise. I'm thinking a good wide angle lens, what do you guys think?

Most reactions

Back