My New FREE Pentax Spotomatic, 300mm f/6.3 and lots of stuff

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ya know, there are some nice people in this world.

I work at a deli and a guy came in there with some shirt that caught my attention. I started talking to him and come to find out he had just got back from going to a protest in Washington, DC. This was about a month ago. We go on the subject that I was into photography and I would love to be up there and do some photojournalistic style shooting of protests.

Well, he came in about 2 weeks later and again, asked if I was into photography and I said sure am. Asked if I took any classes. I of course said no, just self taught and doing everything on the side.

Anyways, he said he had this old Pentax camera that he never used with a 300mm lens. "If you want it, I"m not using it. You can have it" WHAT.....well what would I owe you for it? He didn't want anything. Just a nice guy trying to pay it forward I guess you could say.

He came in once and didn't know if I would be working but this Tuesday came in and said I have that camera stuff in the car whenver you want it.

I WAS AMAZED!!

Here is what he gave me
4157256000_70d63527fa_b.jpg

What's included in this picture is:

-Pentax Spotomatix 35mm camera with 28mm 2.8 lens
-Many Kodak lens cleaning pads
-50mm 1.4
-300mm f/6.3 lens (also included next to that is a 3x teleconverter)
-a Sunpak Soflite 1600A flash
-2 lens hoods. The larger one in front of the camera will fit the 28mm lens and it's the rubber reversable kind while the other I imagine fits the 50mm, but have not tried it.
-Many many filters. Well, at least the boxes are there. Some have the box, just no filter, I imagine those are the ones on the lens.

Anyways, I have absolutly NO clue on film camera. I have another lady selling this - well not really "selling" it but it was her ex's and she isn't using it either so I could possibly have 2 film cameras.

I was messing around with this Pentax and had no clue how to use it. I learn relatively quick and of course popped open the back. This was the part that I learned real quick that I should just check for film in it in the first place. I didn't know it had it in there. Well, that roll is exposed anyways but I'm still shooting with it.

I finally figured out how the light meter worked after reading some of the manual that was included. Opening the aperture manually to increase the exposure is hard to get used to, as well as manually setting the shutter speed on the top of the camera. I didn't even know the thing had a batter until I read in the manual about the light meter and it started to go up and down, so not only was this free, but it works and has film....pretty much all ready to go.

I'm not sure what to do from here. It has 400 speed film in it and I did find out to set the film speed on the top dial so I'm quickly learning but is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks for looking and any advice you have

~Michael~

Nice people still exist in the world. Its amazing... :) Congrats my friend.

Nice set up. I still shoot film almost exclusively. It is a lot of fun and can be a challenge. Enjoy it.

Michael

Cool, just about everyting you need, for free!:thumbup:

J.:mrgreen:

Can you really be sure he is from this world?

The truth is that their are nice people in the world. What this world lacks is people who do not want anything from you. All to often people will do things and be your freind but all they really want is to get something from you. So the reality of the matter is not weather or not people are nice but rather are they selfish. This guy was nice and unselfish.

Nice set up. I still shoot film almost exclusively. It is a lot of fun and can be a challenge. Enjoy it.

Michael

It's definitely a challenge. I learned real quick not to open that back. I mean I knew not to open it but didn't know if therewas film in there. I did and that was ruined. I hope that guy comes back in. I was hoping there would be pictures from when he had it and I was going to give them to him. I really wish there was something I could do for him, I really do. Might take care of his meal next time if I take his order at work. He went above and beyond.

Cool, just about everyting you need, for free!:thumbup:

J.:mrgreen:

↑↑↑

:woot : for you :p

now that's a score!

Heck yeah, thanks!

Can you really be sure he is from this world?

The truth is that their are nice people in the world. What this world lacks is people who do not want anything from you. All to often people will do things and be your freind but all they really want is to get something from you. So the reality of the matter is not weather or not people are nice but rather are they selfish. This guy was nice and unselfish.

That's very true. As I said above, I really wish I could do something for him.

I'm pretty sure I'll get his meal next time he is in

~Michael~

The fact that you are excited about the camera equipment only supports the fact you really do appreciate the gift (read as "gesture"), especially considering the digital SLR's you have listed in your sig. More people should recycle unused/unwanted items to those that find value in them still. One man's junk and all that jazz.

The fact that you are excited about the camera equipment only supports the fact you really do appreciate the gift (read as "gesture"), especially considering the digital SLR's you have listed in your sig. More people should recycle unused/unwanted items to those that find value in them still. One man's junk and all that jazz.

They really should. I need to get another roll of film and get shooting!

It's so different than digital. If I want to switch lenses and there is a roll of film can I switch them, or will that expose the roll?

~Michael~

Yes, you can switch lenses with film in it. The shutter will still be closed when you remove the lens, so no worries.

I just started using a pentax k1000, coming from digital.

The hardest part is remembering to advance the film. :lol:

Most reactions

Back