my new lens is shutting off my camera!!!! why????

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i just got a sigma 70-210mm telephoto lens fo rmy canon rebel k2. I went out to use it for the first time today and verythign seemed to be working fine, but then when i take a picture, the shutter would go twice and the camera shuts off and the battery sign flashes. But the battery isnt dead cause it works fine with my kit lens. Anyone know why?

Communication between the lens and the body? The Sigma might not talk to the body the way a Canon would. Or it could just be a bad lens. Was it purchased new? If so, it looks like a trip back to the store would be in order. Bring the camera with you if you can bring it back to place of purchase. If it was used, ignore everything I mentioned above.

I looked on B&H for sigma 70-210mm for the Canon mount and nothing came up. It's got to be a communication error. how old is it?

This may or may not help.

Modern cameras have sensitive electronics of course. I had a Nikkor lens do pretty much the same thing with my Nikon F4s. I removed the lens and took all of the batts out of the camera, ancluding the databack, waited a few minutes, the reinstalled them after I had touched the batt contacts to make a full ground and discharge any static charge in the sysytem. Be sure you aren't walking with bare socks on carpet when you do this because you don't want to bring a static charge to the party either. Touch something else metal first to discharge yourself.

Essentially this caused a full reboot of the system. The problem was gone and never recurred again.

I have seen a couple people solve odd cellphone issues with the same process. It also is a semi common "fix" for auto driveability problems on new cars.

LWW

LWW said:
This may or may not help.

Modern cameras have sensitive electronics of course. I had a Nikkor lens do pretty much the same thing with my Nikon F4s. I removed the lens and took all of the batts out of the camera, ancluding the databack, waited a few minutes, the reinstalled them after I had touched the batt contacts to make a full ground and discharge any static charge in the sysytem. Be sure you aren't walking with bare socks on carpet when you do this because you don't want to bring a static charge to the party either. Touch something else metal first to discharge yourself.

Essentially this caused a full reboot of the system. The problem was gone and never recurred again.

I have seen a couple people solve odd cellphone issues with the same process. It also is a semi common "fix" for auto driveability problems on new cars.

LWW
i have had to do this my cell photo sound like it could work, also check the contacts to see if they are clear use an erase to clean then if needed, the last option is have the lens re-chipped

ok so i talked to the guy at keh and he said that it is actually an older lens ment for older canons.

i have the option of rechipping it but sigma was closed when i called or returning it. Does anyone know how much it costs to re chip a lens?

Most reactions

Back