my new lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by maverickphoto, Aug 19, 2008.

1. maverickphoto

maverickphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just bought a Canon Lens EF 50mm f/1.8 II AutoFocus Lens cant wait to get it in the mail. Would getting a Canon EF 85 /1.8 USM Telephoto Lens be to much? Besides the ovious 50-85 difference what else would be differant about these 2 lens? I bought the 50mm becasue of the great reviews and some of the pics ive seen it looked like a great lens.

jason

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Congrats!
    Define "too much"?

The 85mm f/1.8 lens is known as a good portrait lens with excellent optics. You can't go wrong. Is it really necessary... try and shoot with the 50mm for a few weeks and see if you still "need" the 85mm focal length.

3. maverickphoto

maverickphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought the 55mm because i heard it was a great portrait lens. Just was thinking that a 85mm wouldn't be needed.

jason

4. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Alot of times you have to get real close to take a good shot with the 50mm. The 85mm will give you a little more space to work with similar effects.

5. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 50 1.8 also has inferior optics compared to the 85 1.8. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fantastic lens (especially for the price!) and was my first additional lens as well. But, the 85 is far better optically and as bigal said, can shoot from further away. Also, using a telephoto lens can have the effect of making the background seem more immediate/close. So, if you are wanting that effect for outdoor portraits, the 85 is again superior to the 50. If you want it to look like the human eye would generally see it, the 50 wins.

6. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The AF of the 85 1.8 is incredibly FAST.