My New Lightstand

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by chrisburke, Dec 2, 2008.

1. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    today I went and bought a clamp for my umbrella and flash, it's not the same style that I always see people post here, it's a little different, but this one actually seems to really work for me and it was a lot cheaper than the manfrotto one which is the style that everyone posts here.. this one has a hot shoe mount on it, AND a screw for you to mount another flash (great it you need to mount 2 flashes) or if like me, your using the wired slave, which on the flash side, just has a screw hole to mount..

Then on my way home, it dawned on me that mic stand screws are the same size as the tripod screws.. and I realized that I could just use my old mic stand as a light stand.. it looks great....

I also went out and bought some material for a back drop... I flirted with the old lady selling it, and she gave it to me for 60% off.. which is sweet (cause it wasnt in the sale pile) so I've got a nice big piece of material 8x15 i bought some PVC piping to make a bar for it.. and I'll be mounting it from my speaker stands... i love having stuff that works, but costs way less than what the "real stuff" costs.. it's great

Heres the light stand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    It's always nice to be able to save some bucks and get good functionality. What kind of material are you using for a backdrop?

3. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its called Tabling (thats what the recipt says) basically its the same material that you would use as a table cloth in a fancy banquet hall.. it's perfect... it's not see through, and its thick and sturdy... i'm very happy with it... i'll post some pics of it tomorrow as I have a photoshoot.

I went with white because i can very easily change its color using gels.

OPPS, I just made an edit to the orignal post.. it wasnt 60$ off it was 60%

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008