My new Pentax

Goontz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1958 Asahi Pentax "K" that was my Grandfather's. 35mm f/3.5 and 135mm f/3.5, both "Carsen" brand (which I haven't been able to find much info on). It definitely needs some cleaning and a little TLC to be fully-operational, but it seems pretty close as it sits. I plan on getting it into a shop for repair soon. The lenses also need some repair, but if that ends up being too costly, I'll just pick up a Super-Takumar off eBay or something.

(Full album with more photos at Asahi Pentax - Kevin Guenter's Photos )

805784909_yjHKa-L.jpg

805788472_PBZYY-L.jpg

805787104_rNcan-L.jpg

805789154_hxGJw-L.jpg

805790542_xZEEW-L.jpg

805790891_cabor-L.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photos Kevin. You captured the patine of the vintage camera nicely. So many old-timey touches...the FP and X synch outlets, a shutter release threaded for a mechanical cable release, a front-mounted slow-speed shutter dial in addition to the top dial for the faster shutter speeds, the old genuine leather "everready case". Back then the abbreviation for synchronization outlet was commonly written synch, as in X-synch.
Sometime in the 1990's it was shortened to sync.

Thanks for the kind words and info, Derrel! Like I said, it needs some repairs and/or cleaning but I'm excited to learn more about it and start shooting with it.

M42 do you know, Derrel ? something a bit DDR/USSR looking about those lenses. i'm probably wrong but i wonder if Carsen was a way of importing CZJ (and similar exports) into countries where Zeiss (West Germany) prohibited the name badge due to copyright (?) the 3.5/35 looks like a Helios lens.

Nice!! I have one as well that has been through a CLA. Works like a champ.

Unfortunately, its leather ever ready case basically fell apart in my hands. Yours is in amazingly great shape.

Enjoy!

M42 do you know, Derrel ? something a bit DDR/USSR looking about those lenses. i'm probably wrong but i wonder if Carsen was a way of importing CZJ (and similar exports) into countries where Zeiss (West Germany) prohibited the name badge due to copyright (?) the 3.5/35 looks like a Helios lens.

I did a quick bit of research on the string W Carsen M42 lens and came up with a hit that said the company began in 1946...on one of the manual focus lens forums there was a thread asking just how many brands of M42 lenses there have been,and the answer is a LOT!! Manual Focus Forum / How many different "brand" names....

One poster there mentioned that a 3- or 4-element 135mm lens was often sold as an attractive addition to a camera package. I do know what you mean about the cosmetics having that DDR/USSR look with the chrome alternating with the knurling--that cosmetic "look" I equate with DDR/USSR manufacturing rather than Japan. My gut feeling is the Carsen brand is simply a thread-in ring. Oddly, the Carsen name is still visible on some a few 2000's era lenses I have seen on eBay.

Both of those lenses look like they are pre-set diaphragm models,which would be pretty standard in the late 1950's.

maybe the 3.5/35 is a predecessor of the Takumar of same type.
http://www.retrocamera.net/2008/08/review-of-pentax-super-takumar-35mm35/

the 3.5/135 zebra does have a possible Jena, Sonnar look about it.

interesting items. i've never heard of Carsen before, thanks for the info. the list of M42 makers is long..as is the list of 135mm manufacturers (there was a thread begun on the manual forum last year where people took guesses to begin with, how many there might be, then as everyone chipped-in with obscure makes, the list just got longer and longer ;) amazing!

What would be the point of the ASA selector knob? If this thing had any sort of metering, I can see it being relevant for that, but is it nothing more than a reminder as to what speed film you have in? Also, what would be the difference in the orange 10-100 versus the green 10-100?

but is it nothing more than a reminder as to what speed film you have in?

You got it... speed and sometimes type of film.

Just for reference. I believe mine was purchased from the original owner. I assume the lens it came with is original to the purchase as well. It is a Auto-Takumar 55mm f/1.8. Mine is pictured below:

Equip_33_RT16.jpg

Equip_34_RT16.jpg

Equip_35_RT16.jpg

The lever on the lens is to re-cock the aperture diaphragm.

Cool, thanks. Depending on the quote to clean up and repair these lenses, I may just end up getting a Super-Takumar with the auto-aperture from eBay. Haven't seen any of the "Zebra" ones like you have on there (they've all been solid black), but can be had for $50-$100.

Looks pretty darned nice like it is. Nice score! Plus the sentimental value..looks like a keeper.

J.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back