My new policy (can't call it a pact, that's already taken :)

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Jon_Are, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently posted what I thought was an above-average photo (for me, at least). It was my first attempt at this sort of photo and I surprised myself as to how good it looked. I specifically asked for C&C.

Well, each time I logged on, I saw my post work it's way down (and, eventually, off) the page with quite a few 'views' and zero responses.

I replied to myself :)mrgreen:) and asked again for input. Eventually it came, all of it helpful in some way.

So, here's my pact.....err......agreement with myself. Every time I log onto TPF, I will seek out at least one gallery post that has had zero responses and I will offer constructive advice. If it's someone's first photo post, all the better. Scrolling down the page - or scoping out page 2 - all the better.

I think if some of us do this to some extent, TPF will be a better place and the world will some day live in harmony.

Hey, it can't hurt!

Take care,

Jon

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agreed...

I've all but given up posting photos for C&C (not just on this forum but all of them).

3. B Kennedy

B Kennedy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The main problem I see with you original post looking for C&C is that you gave no information. No description on what you were trying to achieve, camera settings you shot with, etc. If you do a quick search on how to post for C&C on here, you will understand where I'm going with this. But I will say, that when I come across people posting pictures with a title, C&C please, I tend to overlook them....Give a description, make people wanna come see what your picture is about. Then explain what you were attempting to do, etc. and I can almost guarantee you will always get C&C.

4. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I understand what you're saying but it shouldn't matter every time... just look at the photo and say what you think, or what you think it needed. Not everyone is setting up photo shoots, more often than not I just see something I think will make a nice photo and shoot it. If I post it for C&C I'm looking for everyone's thoughts on it and what I could have done to make it better.

5. B Kennedy

B Kennedy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The least you can do when you want people to spend time and comment on your photo is to provide a description and camera settings. It should be mandatory. Personally if you don't care enough to describe something, and how you shot it, I wouldn't give it the time of day. Now I'm not saying that you need to "set up a photo shoot", all I'm saying is to comment on what you did. Even if it's, "hey I went out on a walk and saw what appeared interesting to me. I just took a quick snap, at iso xxx shutter and fstop." Then it starts to explain a bit more on your thinking and what you were trying to achieve.

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm...I spot checked your last couple of posts asking for C&C, and neither one provided any info about camera settings (although you did provide descriptions). Seems you didn't do the least you could have done.

Anyway, I don't think I necessarily need to specify what sort of critique I desire - that may preclude someone for giving input on an aspect that hadn't occurred to me to ask for. There's nothing wrong with requesting a 'pros & cons' approach to an image.

In other words:
    Jon

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  7. 45mphK9

45mphK9 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Jon,

I agree with your original idea. I think it is a great idea & I will try to do it. I will also try to balance the critique with something positive to say as well. Give constructive comments - but if it's only negative, then follow your mother's rule . . . if you can't say SOMETHING nice (along with the truth), then don't say anything at all. This can be a very discouraging forum at times for people who are wanting to enjoy photography.

Great idea Jon!

8. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally, I don't think that's necessary at all. I don't really care about how a photo is made. C&C to me is about the image, not about the tools. You don't need to know how a shot was made to tell someone their contrast is off, or they sharpened too much, or the composition doesn't work, or the highlights are blown..etc...

9. fwellers

fwellers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the idea of the OP. It would help the forum. Easier said than done though for me. It's hard because I don't always consider myself qualified to give negative feedback. I do like giving positive feedback though. I should try harder.
    I also agree that camera settings aren't necessary unless someone is asking how to take a picture a certain way, or why a picture didn't turn out or something along those lines.