My new ultramacro lens

Mooseontheloose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll probably get run right out of this forum for posting these but oh well:greenpbl:

EDIT: More added
FS-24-1.jpg

FRR2A-1.jpg

FR-11-6.jpg

FR-11-4.jpg

FR10C-6.jpg

FR10C-2.jpg

31B-2-1.jpg

10CB4-10.jpg

10CB4-3.jpg

10CB4-2.jpg

FR10C-4.jpg

SEM2.jpg

Started working on the SEM and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to run everything (this is the most finicky, complicated camera you will ever use). I've only taken a few but over the next few weeks I'll try to get some cooler pics of more interesting stuff up.

Last edited:
Hmm, no idea what it is :)

What are these objects and what was the lens you used?

Started working on the SEM and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to run everything (this is the most finicky, complicated camera you will ever use).
Details please! "SEM" is not exactly a google friendly term, lol!

:thumbup:

Haha, sorry. SEM - Scanning Electron Microscope. The first pic is just bacterial cells and the second pic is of something called a Diatom. Most of the stuff I take pics of will definitely not be recognizable to most people. If you notice the scale bar on the top it says 10 micro meters. Do I win most powerful macro lens??;)

You won :thumbup:

Actually I think these are rather neat, and are VERY macro :)

I don't think I would want to shell out the $$ for something like that though, what I do have is expensive enough!!

Awesome to have the access to such a machine! Love to see some new views of everyday items.

Do I win most powerful macro lens??;)
Yeah - what is that, like 100:1, or more?

:lol:

You win. ;)

*sniffle* and I thought I was doing good at 20:1 :(
I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it !

Though having had a quick google around its not exactly handholdable I think - and its price tag might require a mortgage.....

Anyway great early results with the setup - be great to see some pics of the machine itself and also read about your experiences and see how things develop! It certainly lets you get into a whole new world of macro photography!

Definitely! I'm really excited to get to work with this beast, but since it's for work and costs something like 40 bucks an hour to run, I can't really just screw around and take pics of random things. Most of my pics will probably be related to bacteria or viruses, but if I can sneak some time in I'll definitely try to take some pics of other things!

Well getting somewhere around over 20:1
IMG_1970 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1966 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

MPE65mm macro at 5:1 plus canon 2*TC plus sigma 2*TC plus 68mm of extension tubes. The TCs alone come to just under 20:1 (sigma TC is 1.95 rather than full 2). It's not easy and I should do some more playing around (and its super long).

I don't remember what magnification exactly those 2 images were but the SEM ranges from 5000% to 300,000% magnification, those were probably around 40,000.

Hmmm... So if 1:1 is 100%... 1000% would be 10:1 ... 10,000% = 100:1 ... 100,000% = 1,000:1. ...nice...lol.

(unless my math is wrong...)

Most reactions

Back