My next lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 vs Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro

MDesigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's a tough call between these two. I'm leaning towards the 60mm because I really love macro photography a great deal.. it allows me to find "fresh" material in mundane, everyday surroundings, by getting in super close. But the 50mm looks amazing.. looks like it's tack sharp, and is incredible in low light, and great for portraits. But I'm thinking the 60mm macro lens can also work great as a portrait lens as well, and looks like it will produce sharp photos as well. If I get the 60mm, I may not even need the 50mm unless I want that tasty f/1.4 max aperture. ;) (I'm also big on night photography.. my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 does quite nicely in that realm)

Just thinking aloud here.. any suggestions/insight?

What is the reason for this purchase? What can't you currently do with your current lenses?

Those are both great lenses but the 60 has the macro designation. What's minimum focus of both lenses.

is it going to be used for macro or if you get 60 you want it for macro and the 50 you want for portraits/walk around.

are you deciding which to get for macro or deciding which lense to get for what they're both meant for.

the f/1.8 might actually be better buy since the comparison between the two isnt' that difference.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.4-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

get both f/1.8 50 and the 60.

What is the reason for this purchase? What can't you currently do with your current lenses?

#1, can't do macro. #2, can't get razor sharp photos that only a prime lens can deliver.

Those are both great lenses but the 60 has the macro designation. What's minimum focus of both lenses.

50mm: 18"
60mm: 7.9"

is it going to be used for macro or if you get 60 you want it for macro and the 50 you want for portraits/walk around.

are you deciding which to get for macro or deciding which lense to get for what they're both meant for.

Well, many people say the 60mm works great as a portrait lens too. And I imagine it's pretty sharp, being a prime. So it seems like the 60mm can work well as a macro lens and a portrait lens. I think the only thing the 50mm might have over the 60mm is that it MIGHT be a bit sharper, and it definitely works better in low light.

I've got both - the 60mm gets far more use. I don't do much low-light stuff though. The 60mm does work as an excellent portrait lens (equiv 96mm on full frame). As for the sharpness, I'll almost guarantee you can't see the difference. The only other reason why you might go with the 50mm is if you are planning going to a full frame body sometime in the near future.

why not get the 50 f/1.8 and the 100mm f/2.8 macro?

Not a bad idea...but see, the only reason I'd go for the 50mm is because of the awesome f/1.4 max ap. And the 50mm f/1.8 obviously is not 1.4 ;) But you're right, the 50mm f/1.8 looks like a great bang-for-your-buck lens.. it looks like it takes great shots!

I think I might grab the 60mm since I'm so nuts about macro photography..and if I find it lacking in some way, I can get the 50mm f/1.4 later. Again, I can only imagine needing the 50mm f/1.4 for low light or night photography.. but my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 works great for that. I'll take the 60mm f/2.8 for a spin at night time on a tripod and see how it performs against the Tamron.

Does look that way doesn't it, but you won't get 1:1 out of the Tamron - horses for courses I reckon.

Hmm.. still not quite grasping it. So what would be the ratio for my Tamron at 50mm? And more importantly.. why is the Tamron not 1:1 exactly?

Tamron's specs say 1:4.5 (at f=50mm MFD 0.27m). So rather than being a life size image on the sensor, it's a bit less than a quarter of the size.

So lets say you wanted the subject (a caterpillar for example) to appear the same size on the final image. With the Canon you could use the original image in its entirety, whereas the Tamron you'd need to crop the original image considerably to make the subject appear the same size - potentially with a huge loss of quality, as you've discarded over 75% of your image

OK, so the Tamron is 1:4.5 at 50mm. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 is 1:6.66 at 50mm. Does that mean if I put my camera on a tripod, take a shot with the Tamron at 50mm, then change to the Canon 50mm and shoot the same shot, when I look at my two RAW files in Lightroom, the subject will be different sizes (at different magnifications) in each photo?? (the subject would appear closer in the Tamron shot, right?)

Also.. because the Canon 60mm is 1:1, wouldn't it be sharper than the Canon 50mm?

Rethink: What the ratios mean in this case is related to the minimum focal distance of each lens
  • Canon 50mm f/1.4 - MFD = 0.45m
  • Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - MFD = 0.27m
The Tamron has a better ratio, because it can focus to a shorter distance than the Canon. Used at the a distance >= 0.45m, they will provide the same image size at the sensor, as they have the same field of view.

The 1:1 ratio has nothing at all to do with how sharp the lens is - it's just how big an image will be presented at the sensor.

With the 60mm you have to get to it's minimum focusing distance to get 1:1 - at that, you're just 200mm from your subject.

Most reactions

Back