My next lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 vs Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by MDesigner, Jun 27, 2008.

1. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It's a tough call between these two. I'm leaning towards the 60mm because I really love macro photography a great deal.. it allows me to find "fresh" material in mundane, everyday surroundings, by getting in super close. But the 50mm looks amazing.. looks like it's tack sharp, and is incredible in low light, and great for portraits. But I'm thinking the 60mm macro lens can also work great as a portrait lens as well, and looks like it will produce sharp photos as well. If I get the 60mm, I may not even need the 50mm unless I want that tasty f/1.4 max aperture. ;) (I'm also big on night photography.. my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 does quite nicely in that realm)

Just thinking aloud here.. any suggestions/insight?

2. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

What is the reason for this purchase? What can't you currently do with your current lenses?

Those are both great lenses but the 60 has the macro designation. What's minimum focus of both lenses.

is it going to be used for macro or if you get 60 you want it for macro and the 50 you want for portraits/walk around.

are you deciding which to get for macro or deciding which lense to get for what they're both meant for.

the f/1.8 might actually be better buy since the comparison between the two isnt' that difference.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.4-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

get both f/1.8 50 and the 60.

3. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #1, can't do macro. #2, can't get razor sharp photos that only a prime lens can deliver.

50mm: 18"
    60mm: 7.9"

Well, many people say the 60mm works great as a portrait lens too. And I imagine it's pretty sharp, being a prime. So it seems like the 60mm can work well as a macro lens and a portrait lens. I think the only thing the 50mm might have over the 60mm is that it MIGHT be a bit sharper, and it definitely works better in low light.

4. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

why not get the 50 f/1.8 and the 100mm f/2.8 macro?

5. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've got both - the 60mm gets far more use. I don't do much low-light stuff though. The 60mm does work as an excellent portrait lens (equiv 96mm on full frame). As for the sharpness, I'll almost guarantee you can't see the difference. The only other reason why you might go with the 50mm is if you are planning going to a full frame body sometime in the near future.

6. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not a bad idea...but see, the only reason I'd go for the 50mm is because of the awesome f/1.4 max ap. And the 50mm f/1.8 obviously is not 1.4 ;) But you're right, the 50mm f/1.8 looks like a great bang-for-your-buck lens.. it looks like it takes great shots!

I think I might grab the 60mm since I'm so nuts about macro photography..and if I find it lacking in some way, I can get the 50mm f/1.4 later. Again, I can only imagine needing the 50mm f/1.4 for low light or night photography.. but my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 works great for that. I'll take the 60mm f/2.8 for a spin at night time on a tripod and see how it performs against the Tamron.

7. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    It'll kick its butt...

8. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  9. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    Does look that way doesn't it, but you won't get 1:1 out of the Tamron - horses for courses I reckon.

10. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ding ding.. newbie question alert. :blushing: What do you mean by 1:1 exactly? I know it's a ratio.. but a ratio of what to what?

11. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    Image size on sensor to subject - basically your image is full size

12. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm.. still not quite grasping it. So what would be the ratio for my Tamron at 50mm? And more importantly.. why is the Tamron not 1:1 exactly?