My next lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 vs Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro

Ahh I understand now. I thought it had something to do with sharpness. So 1:1 beats 1:4.5 for macro because at whatever distance you are, you'll get a tighter shot. Along those lines, a 2:1 or 3:1 macro lens would be even better than the 1:1, I'm assuming...

Thanks for the help, Chris!

Ahh I understand now. I thought it had something to do with sharpness. So 1:1 beats 1:4.5 for macro because at whatever distance you are, you'll get a tighter shot. Along those lines, a 2:1 or 3:1 macro lens would be even better than the 1:1, I'm assuming...

Thanks for the help, Chris!

Correct. You'd probably need either extension tubes, bellows or one of those cheap close up lenses that screw onto the front of the lens to do that though. Don't think I know of a macro lens that goes better than 1:1 on its own - not saying it's not out there, I just don't know it.

If you are looking for sharpness, you will probably be better off with a 50mm f=1.8 when set at 5.6 or 8. This is a typical rule for nearly all lenses. Wide open they are at their softest...as you approach the middle of the range they are usually best, but performance drops off again at the smaller apertures such as f=22.

The 50mm f=1.4 will behave in the same way, but cost a bit more while giving you a very small speed advantage in low light situations. It will probably not deliver the same sharpness as the 50/1.8 but in this case sharpness isn´t your main worry anyway.

Very little difference in it to my eye - f/8 comparison

Not to sure why you'd think the f/1.8 would deliver better sharpness than the f/1.4 - the latter is a better made lens than the former.

[The 50mm f=1.4] will probably not deliver the same sharpness as the 50/1.8 but in this case sharpness isn´t your main worry anyway.

This is interesting.. why would the 50/1.8 be sharper than the 50/1.4?

Actually, it's weird..here's the MTF chart for the 50/1.4:
ef_50_14mtf.gif

And the MTF chart for the 50/1.8:
ef_50_18mtf.gif

I can see that the f/1.8 lens is a bit sharper.. however, the chart shows the f/1.4 has slightly better bokeh than the f/1.8.

PS, I've already decided on the Canon 60mm macro lens ;) But we can still keep talking about the 50mm f/1.4 vs the 50mm f/1.8.

One bonus of the f/1.4 over the f/1.8: it's got FTM. Kinda nice to have.

Generally such lenses are easier to make.
Consider the 50mm f=1.2 which would give you nearly a stop faster, but at 1.2 is actually kinda fuzzy...and the price! They even went as far as a f=0.95 a while back but it was just silly...they couldn´t make it acceptably sharp.

I have the 50mm f1.8 II ... but I kind of like how the bokeh looks in the photos take with the f1.4. Looks smoother

Most reactions

New Topics

Back