My next lens will be a macro lens :)

Yes, but the ring flash only fits certain sized flashes as listed. So that limits you. Extension tubes would fit any lens, and if it was a long lens, like a 70-300 or something like that, you could be a little further from the subjects and still get it super close, so a regular flash ( maybe a TTL flash with a trigger that you can hand-hold would be decent. I haven't did macro too much ( plan on trying some this weekend with my new extension tubes ) but atleast then, you are buying gear that can have several uses.

In the description of it:

--The macro photography ring light attaches to 55 and 58mm diameter lenses with included adapter rings.
--Ring size - 52mm (inclusive of 55 & 58mm step up adapters for ring flash)

as it stands, that would fit any of my lenses ;)

but then again... if I get the coupler, I wouldn't be able to use the ring flash because my lens will be backwards... hmmm...

and now I'm feeling a little stupid...

which is better for the macro filters?

the 250d or the 500d?

Wish I had a ring-light & then I would not have to resort to light from a window & a mirror.

IMG_3924sm.jpg

P1010126sm.jpg

and now I'm feeling a little stupid...

which is better for the macro filters?

the 250d or the 500d?

They are both geared to different focal ranges. Look under their descriptions on bhphoto.com. I have the 250D because I wanted to use it on the kit lens and my prime lenses that were all under 100mm.

Well I will have two lenses that will work with the 250d and one that will work with the 500d.

I don't think you realize how difficult 1:1 macro is, let alone anything at greater magnification. I have the 100mm macro and I usually don't have it at 1:1 because it's so difficult to get the focus plane just right... at least on a moving/skiddish bug, and using a tripod (without rails) makes it even more difficult. Check out this link... (although I'm not sure how he can suggest 800x600 res fills most monitor screens....)

Flickr: Discussing High Magnification Macros in Measured in Millimetres

nope, you're right... I probably don't ;)

But I want to try it... that's why I don't want to blow $500 on a lens... I'd rather get things that get me close to what the lens would do and then if I am still interested, maybe later i will blow that $500 on a lens...

nope, you're right... I probably don't ;)

But I want to try it... that's why I don't want to blow $500 on a lens... I'd rather get things that get me close to what the lens would do and then if I am still interested, maybe later i will blow that $500 on a lens...

Maybe you should consider renting a macro lens. There are quite a few places that you could rent a macro lens from for probably about $40 for a week.

Here you go. A Canon 60mm f2.8 macro for $37 insured for one week.
https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon-60mm-f2.8-ef-s-macro/for-canon

or the 100mm f2.8 Canon Macro for 7 days insured for $52
LensRentals.com - Rent a Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro

That said, I would HIGHLY recommend the Sigma 70-300 apo Macro for a beginner. I have it and it is an incredible sleeper lens. Very sharp stopped down to around f/11-f/16 for macro stuff, plus at $200 it's not much more than a set of tubes or a 500d filter. Plus it get's down to 1:2 magnification.....not as much as 1:1 but still pretty dang close.....and good for you to learn how to shoot at high magnifications. Plus if you use a flash (not on-camera, but something like a 430EX) then you can easily handhold it to get great shots.

If you want examples of the Sigma 70-300 APO (make sure you get the APO version), then click on the link in my signature. All of the Insects section and all of the Flower/Plant sections are with the Sigma using a SB-600 (equivalent of a Canon 430 EX). If you are interested, most all of the animal section were taken with this lens as well (non macro).

So the sigma lens you're talking about can be used for things other than macro as well?

If that's the case then I might just do that and not get the tamron lens.

I am going to stick with the bower flash and ring light only because it's about $70 cheaper.

Last edited:
I know you said you dont want to spend the money on the 100mm Canon macro but just a side note I use that for portraits just as much as I use it for macro. Its not just for macro.

So the sigma lens you're talking about can be used for things other than macro as well?

If that's the case then I might just do that and not get the tamron lens.

I am going to stick with the bower flash and ring light only because it's about $70 cheaper.

Yes the Sigma 70-300 apo is a good longer lens for animals, etc... but it has the advantage of being able to focus really close (1:2) which is about the closest I have seen on a lens that's not a true 1:1 macro. I actually bought this lens with the intentions of shooting geese and ducks and other animals as well as a zoo lens (which I have used it for with great results). Funny thing is, once I got the lens it ended up spending about 90% of it's time doing macro stuff because it just does so dang well at that. Plus it's only a couple hundred bucks, will be a dual purpose lens (macro and animals) and with the 1:2 at 300mm you keep a very good distance between you and bugs if you decide to take pictures of them....

Edit: Here's a couple examples of how close 1:2 can get you....and with enough distance @ 300mm to not scare them away.

300mm @ 1:2
p556144615-4.jpg

300mm @1:2
p959895351-4.jpg

but then you can also get these kind of photos with the lens
p802332562-4.jpg

p519014978-4.jpg

To be quite honest, I think if I had started out with a 1:1 macro lens, I would have gotten frusturated and given up on macro (obviously everybody is different). By playing with this 1:2 for awhile until I've gotten good with it, I now am having a much easier transition moving into 1:1.....though it probably doesn't help that I'm handholding a 180mm macro lens with an SB-600 hanging off the side of it.

If you shot Nikon instead of Canon, I'd consider selling you mine. I just picked up a Tamron 180mm 1:1 macro and would like to get a 1.4 tc....that combo will render my Sigma 70-300 kind of pointless for me.....but even at new price it's not that expensive.

Last edited:
NateS experience is about the same as my own - only he/she got the APO edition and did far far better with the lens that I managed before I upgraded to shiny new lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back