My next next lens for my D50 - 55-200 VR????

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by RMThompson, Apr 10, 2007.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So, as you might know, my 18-55 lens is in the shop, and I am buying my 50mm 1.8 lens VERY soon for an event in May along with a decent flash!

Anyway, I may have an opportunity to sink a few more hundred dollars into the camera, and I was thinking I wanted a lens to go above 55mm... the way I see it is this:

• 18-55mm lens is good for everyday shooting, outdoors with the kids, at Busch Gardens, etc etc.
    • The 50mm 1.8 is great for my portrait work and indoor stuff and events.
    So I want something with some serious ZOOM.

They are TONS of options on Adorama for cheap (150 or less) zoom lenses, but I have to think they quality of the image is pretty cheap.

Then I came across this:

http://www.adorama.com/NK55200VRU.html

Nikon 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR lens! And it's only $250 bucks??!?!

My mind is thinking:

• Ok, high fstops, this is SURELY not a low light situation lens
    • But the VR can counteract for some handshake, for sure.
    • It's a DX lens so it will work perfect, and it's made by Nikon so I should expect a DECENT enough picture.
    Any of this wrong? Anyone USE this lens? Any thoughts or suggestions how I might cover the above 55mm range in a similar pricing point?

2. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never used the lens you mention. I have some other VR lenses and I can say that the VR function will reduce hand shake, but not subject motion, so low light shooting will be of non moving subjects only with slower shutter speeds.

I don't think it's a good indoor lens, but in bright light situations I think it would be a great lens... and with the VR you'll get away with some nice low light shots too.