My own Wedding Rings

NaMcO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there!

I'm getting married tomorrow and decided to take some shots at our Wedding Rings. I picked up this photo of me when i was just a little boy and composed this simple scene below. It looks nice to me, but at the same time i KNOW there's something wrong with the light and composition.

What do you guys think of it, how can i improve this picture?

I used my 15-85mm, ISO100, F/4.

Thank you!

rings.jpg

how to make it better? Move the frame and the rings somewhere else. OR turn it around 180 degree and take it from the other side.

The subject of this picture is confusing. If the subject is the rings they should be in focus. Need some more DOF. Maybe not the whole picture. Just part of it to get the idea?

Thank you for your comments. Yeah the main idea was to get the rings to be the center of attention, i now realize that's going to be a little hard with such a big frame + picture in the back which will draw all of the attention to it.

I will try other compositions, see what i can come up with ;) Marriage is tomorrow so i will only have time to post in 2 or 3 days but i'll be back on it :)

Thanks again!

And congratulations by the way... :)

Over exposure from the back light.

Generally when shooting ambient, you don't want to shoot into the sun or into any strong backlighting when you don't have a way to properly expose the subject. Either one of two things will happen. The backlight will be properly exposed and the subject will be underexposed or the subject will be properly exposed and the backlight will be overexposed and most likely blown out.

There are of course, exceptions, like when you're trying to capture a silhouette or if you're purposely backlighting to underexposed the subject.

Also don't forget sometimes less is more. If you can figure out a way to get a portion of the picture in to the frame that might be enough to get the point across, maybe take it out of the frame and lay it on the table with the rings on it, and get in real tight.

Congratulations! So many fun ideas you can do with wedding rings. I understand your concept, but in my opinion, the photo would have been better if the framed image using (depth of field) was of a wedding photo and the rings were brought more forward and in focus. Getting a visual? Great concept though keep trying!

What if you laid the photo down flat and set the rings on top of it or tied them on a ribbon (of the color of your wedding) and draped them over the corner?

just a couple of quick thoughts.

I did notice that the boy is pointing downward in the general direction of the rings, so that's pretty cool.

Also, make sure the surface is clean. That strand of stray hair is distracting. I don't think the whole picture frame needs to be included in the shot to convey that you're taking a picture of the boy as well.

you can either put the ring on top of the frame, make sure the ring is the only one in focus or just don't use the frame at all. Use a different supporting subject for the ring, or you can just take a picture of the ring itself. Remember your dof. i just recently made a post on my blog about Creative Wedding Ring Photos for Inspiration...just check that out. We all have different taste of composing our subject to make it unique, that's just my list. hope that helps! btw, congrats! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back