my photos are dark now

kylefoley76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you see the amazing difference in lighting between these two photos? Well, I'm using the exact same lighting. I seriously doubt that it's because I hit a button on the settings because I'm pretty sure I did not. Moreover, I'm using two cameras and these dark photos started for both cameras at the same time. Paradoxically, the brighter I make the light the darker the photos become. I checked to see if something happened to the light I was using and I replaced it with another light and nothing happened. Then I tried taking a photo with the light off and it sort of made the photos brighter but I can't take photos without the light on because it takes longer since I shines a red light to light things up and I'm worried about speed, taking a lot of photos quickly, plus it has a huge glare which is going to ruin my photos since i'm taking pictures of books which will be converted into text. In the 3rd photo you can see a photo without the light on. I also don't think the camera settings are the culprit because when you look at the picture on the digital screen of the camera, things are clearly dark. $IMG_9134.JPG$IMG_9292.JPG$IMG_7541.JPG

Do you see the amazing difference in lighting between these two photos? Well, I'm using the exact same lighting. I seriously doubt that it's because I hit a button on the settings because I'm pretty sure I did not. Moreover, I'm using two cameras and these dark photos started for both cameras at the same time. Paradoxically, the brighter I make the light the darker the photos become. I checked to see if something happened to the light I was using and I replaced it with another light and nothing happened. Then I tried taking a photo with the light off and it sort of made the photos brighter but I can't take photos without the light on because it takes longer since I shines a red light to light things up and I'm worried about speed, taking a lot of photos quickly, plus it has a huge glare which is going to ruin my photos since i'm taking pictures of books which will be converted into text. In the 3rd photo you can see a photo without the light on. I also don't think the camera settings are the culprit because when you look at the picture on the digital screen of the camera, things are clearly dark. View attachment 35248View attachment 35249View attachment 35250

There are differences..... I have marked in red the biggest difference... FLASH being the biggest difference of all ( I would strongly suggest Reading Your Manual, and doing some research on the exposure triangle). I will let someone else explain to you why the equipment you have is not optimal for what you are trying to do... although it could be done, with proper lighting and a little knowledge! I also noticed you never replied back to your previous thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...e-change-100s-images-quickly.html#post2712868

1st image F3.2 / 1/60 / ISO:80 / Auto mode / no flash / Canon PowerShot A590 IS
2nd image F4 / 1/640 / ISO:80 / Auto mode / No Flash / Canon PowerShot A590 IS
3rd image F3.2 / 1/60 / ISO:200 / Auto mode / Flash Fired / Canon PowerShot A590 IS

First image F3.2 / 1/60 / ISO:80 / Auto mode / no flash Canon PowerShot A590 IS

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...48d1360197040-my-photos-dark-now-img_9134.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 148.6 KB
Creation date: 12/31/2012 20:20
Last modification: 2/6/2013 17:51
Make: Canon (Canon Global)
Camera: Canon PowerShot A590 IS
Dimension: 857 x 1142 px (1 MP, 3:4)
Focal length: 7.9 mm (equiv. 48 mm)
Aperture: F3.2
Exposure time: 1/60"
ISO speed rating: 80/20°
Program: Auto exposure
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

2nd image F4 / 1/640 / ISO:80 / AUTO / No Flash Canon PowerShot A590 IS

[PhotoME]

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...49d1360197042-my-photos-dark-now-img_9292.jpg
File size: 121 KB
Creation date: 1/28/2013 14:45
Last modification: 2/6/2013 17:55
Focal length: 5.8 mm (equiv. 35 mm)
Aperture: F4
Exposure time: 1/640"
ISO speed rating: 80/20°
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

3rd image F3.2 / 1/60 / ISO:200 / Auto / Flash Fired...
Canon PowerShot A590 IS

[PhotoME]

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...50d1360197103-my-photos-dark-now-img_7541.jpg
File size: 110.8 KB
Creation date: 2/5/2013 20:43
Last modification: 2/6/2013 17:51
Focal length: 7.9 mm (equiv. 48 mm)
Aperture: F3.2
Exposure time: 1/60"
ISO speed rating: 200/24°
Flash: Flash fired, auto mode, red-eye reduction mode

Last edited:

There are differences..... I have marked in red the biggest difference... FLASH being the biggest difference of all ( I would strongly suggest Reading Your Manual, and doing some research on the exposure triangle).
What do you mean? How do I adjust the exposure triangle?

I will let someone else explain to you why the equipment you have is not optimal for what you are trying to do... although it could be done, with proper lighting and a little knowledge!
Actually, I am getting the job done. I've scanned over 500 books so far and I can get about 99% of the letters correct. To fix the remaining 1% I would need better OCR software.

That's because the software they recommended was too expensive and I decided that it probably wouldn't improve things much anyway.

Turn your flash off, kylefoley, and don't worry about the exposure triangle. Charlie has correctly diagnosed your problem. You don't need or want flash in this setup, turning it off should put you back to where you were.

I am sorry... because I suspect that you may be copying copyrighted materials, I don't feel comfortable helping anymore than I already have. If you can prove otherwise, I would be glad to help....

The Great Revolt of 1381 was already scanned by google books, FYI. You might want to check there before making your own scans of things.

... I also noticed you never replied back to your previous thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...e-change-100s-images-quickly.html#post2712868
That's because the software they recommended was too expensive and I decided that it probably wouldn't improve things much anyway.

It's still usually a good to thank those who took the time to post responses to a question. Regardless of whether it was helpful or not a quick "Thanks for the help" goes a LONG way toward how people feel about you the next time you ask a question. Just a bit of friendly advice.

You have no real lighting equipment and a camera that is using auto settings, considering your set up dont expect images any better then then what you have.

3rd image F3.2 / 1/60 / ISO:200 / Auto mode / Flash Fired / Canon PowerShot A590 IS

Thanks for the help all around. Does anyone know what the 640 refers to above in red?
As for copyright material, number 1, i'm not distributing these, 2, i'm not profiting from them, 3, these are books i checked out freely from the library, 4, these are books that sell less than a 1000 copies. there's no difference between checking out a book from the library and reading that same book on the computer.

Thanks for the help all around. Does anyone know what the 640 refers to above in red?

Your shutter speed was 1/640th of a second.

As for copyright material, number 1, i'm not distributing these, 2, i'm not profiting from them, 3, these are books i checked out freely from the library, 4, these are books that sell less than a 1000 copies. there's no difference between checking out a book from the library and reading that same book on the computer.

Try reading US Copyright Laws.

Does anyone know what the 640 refers to above in red.

It's not 640 its1/640 and that is the shutter speed used on the shot.

Apparently you do NOT understand what copywriter is.

It does not matter that it was free to check out at the library!
It does not matter that they sell less then 1000 copies, it dosnt have to sell any copies and you would still be breaking copyright unless you have permission from the copyright holder.
And there is a difference between checking out a book from a library and reading the same book on the computer. The library payed for the book and they let you borrow it.

really.. I wonder what the publisher would say to that? Nope... no more help from me...

You can download a .PDF file of the entire US Copyright Law by clicking here.

Most reactions

Back