My photos are NOT OK to edit.

In general I belive the default setting on the board is for the NOT option to be selected.

As for my views I have had mine open to allow edits because, like several here have mentioned, I am open to hearing how others have edited or adjusted my work and I often find that its easier to see what they mean when they can show an edit of the posted image rather than a worded description alone.
I've not really had problems with people giving me back less than I desire or simply making strange edits just for bordems sake - though there have of course been times when I might disagree or question a persons direction with an image.
Whilst the image is mine and mine alone I like to hear others thoughts as well - and this is one way to get peoples input. I guess I approach this from the beginner and learner stages - whilst I know others are here more to share their work or discuss around different aspects than just editing the shot alone - and its good that the site allows for both groups to operate :)

I don't have a problem if someone asks because they want to demonstrate a technique, but just leaving every photo open to play with doesn't really seem necessary.

See, this reason I simply don't understand, because when you post a picture, whether you allow editing or not, you are leaving the photo open to play with. The only thing the allows edit/does not allow edit thing does is prevent people from re-posting something of yours they may have edited.

I can understand your other reason (not wanting people to re-post a bad edit of something you worked hard on), but anytime you post a photo online, anywhere, you're risking "leaving it open to play with."

I have it because I don't post pictures and I find that ironically humorous.

And btw...every time someone posts a picture that no ones supposed to edit, I save it to my computer and I completely **** with it in photoshop.

I don't have a problem if someone asks because they want to demonstrate a technique, but just leaving every photo open to play with doesn't really seem necessary.

See, this reason I simply don't understand, because when you post a picture, whether you allow editing or not, you are leaving the photo open to play with. The only thing the allows edit/does not allow edit thing does is prevent people from re-posting something of yours they may have edited.

I can understand your other reason (not wanting people to re-post a bad edit of something you worked hard on), but anytime you post a photo online, anywhere, you're risking "leaving it open to play with."
Well, if I chose to post a photo on this site, I am willingly placing a photo online and accept that it could be stolen, but it is what it is and there is nothing I can really do about it. On my Smug Mug I have disable right click running, but that doesnt have any bearing on photos I post here.

My real feelings on someone using a photo of mine (minus for profit or advertisement/profit building) is that I consider it flattery.

And btw...every time someone posts a picture that no ones supposed to edit, I save it to my computer and I completely **** with it in photoshop.

I dont believe you............:meh:
GUN1.jpg

PS, I do the same thing...:sexywink:

I dont believe you............:meh:
GUN1.jpg

PS, I do the same thing...:sexywink:

Your M&P just became a penis. Have the same gun btw. Sweet little thing.

My wife has the same one, only in .45, not .40... you're both wusses! :lol:

Pretty much this^^

I initially had it OK'd but changed it after seeing some results of other peoples liberties taken....

I don't have a problem if someone asks because they want to demonstrate a technique, but just leaving every photo open to play with doesn't really seem necessary. Especially if you consider the person will be editing a Compressed Jpeg anyways.

Maybe if they had an option that said "Ask first", you would see that as a top choice.
Thank you! This is what I was trying to get at, only I did so less eloquently, clearly, and directly.

So... basically I don't have a good reason for it other than "the pics are mine and I don't want anyone messing with them".

Same here. Some people really like to "play around" with other peoples photos. Like boosting saturation until your eyes bleed, using different "actions" that look un-natural etc.

I have occasionally allowed editing, usually for a different crop suggestion. ;)
And, here to. Much better said than I did. Thank you!

So... basically I don't have a good reason for it other than "the pics are mine and I don't want anyone messing with them".

Same here. Some people really like to "play around" with other peoples photos. Like boosting saturation until your eyes bleed, using different "actions" that look un-natural etc.

I have occasionally allowed editing, usually for a different crop suggestion. ;)

So i'm curious..does it hurt your ego if someone edited YOUR photo and oversaturated it? lol

Funny very funny thread..I like to see peoples egos come out, and dominate. "You can't edit MY photos....who knows what you'll do to them. Their mine, only mine. Don't touch, unless you want to pay!"

KMH = :eek:ldman:

I've been curious to the reasons why people set their profile in that manner. So, what are your reasons for doing so, or NOT doing so, for that matter?

Me, I figure what better way to see what people are talking about than to let them show it directly.
I never understood that either. I've seen people, mostly noobs, get down right snippy about it.

If you were someone famous and you made a living from your reputation in the industry, I could see it. But 99% of the people who have that flag set to "don't edit" aren't anyone famous and their stuff isn't anything spectacular. You would think they would welcome some friendly advice/tips with editing.

But to each their own. :)

If someone asks I have no problem with it. But I wouldn't want someone with no idea how to edit, editing something that I took the time to make how I wanted it to look.

If that makes sense.
...and even if they butcher it, how does that impact you in any way what-so-ever? Do you think your reputation as a NATGEO photographer will be negatively affected? Do you think someone will mistake the edited image as your own?

Most reactions

Back