My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit

ph0enix said:
Megan, that would make sense except that Bossy has posted photos here the other day (through photobucket).

Right. But her edited photo would now be on my Flickr instead of her photobucket.

I'm wondering why so many people use that setting. It hinders your learning process, IMO.

On the contrary, I learn better by doing, not having someone "do" for me. I'd rather someone tell me how it can be better, then go off and try it myself, rather than have someone just post up an edit and say "here is a better version of your photo." We all have our own ways ;)

Last edited:
I've seen maybe 5 total edits in the almost 2 years I've been here that were better than the original. If someone critiques my work then I'll use YouTube or other tutorials to fix. I don't learn better by seeing someone else's butchering it but if someone tells me what they don't like then I like to figure it out on my own. Imagine that...someone who doesn't need hand holding.

You need to look at more threads then.

And you have a total of one picture posted for c/c. ?

ph0enix said:
Megan, that would make sense except that Bossy has posted photos here the other day (through photobucket).

Right. But her edited photo would now be on my Flickr instead of her photobucket.

Yes, I get what you mean now :)

:lol: Some good laughs. Love the storm one. *chuckle* Love Helen's comments. :lol:

For me, I'm often horrified to see what awful destructive things people do when they edit my images... but then I'm pretty well certain when I post my image that it is exactly what I intended. That wasn't so much the case 6-10 years ago. But then, I still leave it "ok" for now... sometimes someone surprises me.

For the most part I think people have it turned on because they're hyper defensive.

And keep in mind that anyone who rails against that comment is... by definition... hyper defensive. :lol: How's THAT for a trap?

I just don't like my images hosted all over the place. I realize someone can grab it and upload it anyway, but that is what it is.

I'm not sure I follow you. We're mainly talking about images embedded in posts.

I either can't do that or don't know how, every time I upload from computer I get a ! sign so I have to host to photobucket then grab the link. If its embedded in another persons post, do I have the capabilities as the owner of the image to delete it?

Whoops saw that it had been addressed. Thats what I get for not finishing the thread before posting. And I'm a she :D

:lol: Some good laughs. Love the storm one. *chuckle* Love Helen's comments. :lol:

For me, I'm often horrified to see what awful destructive things people do when they edit my images... but then I'm pretty well certain when I post my image that it is exactly what I intended. That wasn't so much the case 6-10 years ago. But then, I still leave it "ok" for now... sometimes someone surprises me.

For the most part I think people have it turned on because they're hyper defensive.

And keep in mind that anyone who rails against that comment is... by definition... hyper defensive. :lol: How's THAT for a trap?

Or a control freak! That's a possibility too ;)

The_Traveler said:
And you have a total of one picture posted for c/c. ?

Yep. When I first joined. I do get critiqued on work at another site as I've been doing more NSFW stuff. 99% of the time it's critique that will be applied to the next shoot (position of lights, posing, etc).

I don't like edits on my pictures because the pictures are pretty much how I want them.
This actually hasn't been a problem because I don't think anyone has ever wanted to edit them, or even asked me and I'm not certain that I've ever gotten a comment.

(Altho Derrel did once tell me that I was worse than mediocre - but I put that down to a medication error on his part)

My Photos are NOT OK to Edit

Anyone ever realize that this is a very blunt statement not leaving room for any details?

Yes, in general I do not allow for edits. With this I refer to post processing like sharpening, color management or other Photoshop tricks like for example cloning.
I've started using Photoshop years before I even thought about picking up photography so I am not here to learn about Photoshop.
Of course I may pick up some fun detail or handy trick along the way, but it is still not why I am here.

I am here to learn about taking the photos, not editing them.
Composition, DOF, lighting, etc. etc.
Those are the things that got me here. That's what I want people to teach me about.

*Insert witty reply by other member about how cropping is technically editing and will change composition*

This is exactly my point when I say that it is a very blunt statement.
I would not in any way care if someone took my photo and cropped it a little to show me how a different or better composition may be achieved.
It would be appreciated as that is why I came here.

However, as the mayor part of editing is not about that I have set it to this. The way I post process my photos is the way I want to see them.
If you do not agree with that you may tell me, I will evaluate and possibly edit myself. Critique is always appreciated.

My Photos are NOT OK to Edit
My Photos are OK to Crop

I agree with Judo...if you have a suggestion about what your eye sees with one of my images, then let me know and I will see if I might like to address it in an edit.

Photo not OK to edit => All photos in general
Exceptions => Post in the thread ask people to edit it and grant the right on that particular photo

Photo OK to edit => All photos in general
Exceptions => Well, it is too late. It is all over the thread or forum.

It's a personal choice, but either case, if someone want to learn, they can, regardless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back