My photos are NOT OK to edit.

I post to share my work.
Like an exhibition of my work.
My photos are not ok to edit, as my paintings would not be ok to edit in an exhibition.
imagine somebody walking around with a paint brush and changing my paintings.
Well I feel the same about my photos.

No offence, but I'm not here to learn by having other people change my work. If you think there's something wrong with my photo, then tell me.
I go to college/uni studying photography to have my lecturers rip my work to pieces. (they're not that bad actually)

So I'm sorry if you cannot comprehend that some people do not want other people to edit their work.

Hang on one second, you simply cannot compare this to someone modifying your paintings because your paintings are all originals, and would be permanently changed. This is not the case in the digital world.

To me, this is the worst, " No offence, but I'm not here to learn by having other people change my work." First off, I can't be offended through this screen ;). Second, please explain why you are able to handle the criticism verbally, but not visually?

I'm going to play devils advocate here a lil' : I think sometimes people also don't want their work touched because they want to be able to have the credit of creating that 'stunning' image themselves, they wanna do the conversion so they can boast that it was created all by them, maybe you gave them a nudge in the right direction but they actually DID it.

I don't agree with the 'i wouldn't want my paintings altered in a gallery'. An internet forum where people don't hold the originals, and your here for critique is different than a showcase of your work (unless of course your here for more showcase than critique). I thought that comment was a lil' extreme.

All and all, myself i don't mind if someone alters my photos because like stated above i hold the originals at the end of the day. And if someone can create something that would be hard to explain - i'd like to see exactly what they were talking about, and if i like the result take it upon myself to ask about and learn the technique used ... but that's just my opinion, maybe i'm just not advanced enough to think i create finished work yet.

Tav

Welcome to TPF and we respect your thoughts for sure.

Personally I feel your post is heading in the wrong direction. Your post is not based in fact. We are lovers of photography. Generally on this forum we participate as opposed to passing judgement. If you are unhappy with the guidelines take it somewhere else.

Love & Bass

Heya Craig, and thank you. I agree it's starting to look that way. But, is it me, or the replies that make it that way? You say in general people here are opposed to passing judgement, is it because some limit the amount they can be judged? I am certainly not unhappy with this forum, I think it is an EXCELLENT resource for anyone looking to learn anything about photography. Perhaps I made a mistake when I thought we could engage in a healthy debate? Perhaps some folks let themselves get too excited by text on a screen? We aren't talking George W. Bush and his war of terror, nor are we mocking what Adam and Eve's children must have done to help the human population. Haha, jk jk! But, we should really keep it light or this will only have negative effects. If you guys are getting upset or are offended, I will quit my end of the debate, just holler.

I'm going to play devils advocate here a lil' : I think sometimes people also don't want their work touched because they want to be able to have the credit of creating that 'stunning' image themselves, they wanna do the conversion so they can boast that it was created all by them, maybe you gave them a nudge in the right direction but they actually DID it.

I don't agree with the 'i wouldn't want my paintings altered in a gallery'. An internet forum where people don't hold the originals, and your here for critique is different than a showcase of your work (unless of course your here for more showcase than critique). I thought that comment was a lil' extreme.

All and all, myself i don't mind if someone alters my photos because like stated above i hold the originals at the end of the day. And if someone can create something that would be hard to explain - i'd like to see exactly what they were talking about, and if i like the result take it upon myself to ask about and learn the technique used ... but that's just my opinion, maybe i'm just not advanced enough to think i create finished work yet.

Tav

Very well said.

You're not understanding that a personal choice is just that- personal. When someone explains something to me with the phrase, 'personal', I understand it to mean none of my business, and I accept it at that. A few have tried to explain why they have made this 'personal' choice, yet it doesn't seem to be good enough. This is why things become 'personal', because if you can't understand it, respect the judgement of others when it comes to their choices and have to pass judgements on them, well, it's really none of your business.

Hey guys, I always was happy with people editing my photos and reposting them here. But this thread makes me want to switch to the NOT OK to edit side !

You're not understanding that a personal choice is just that- personal. When someone explains something to me with the phrase, 'personal', I understand it to mean none of my business, and I accept it at that. A few have tried to explain why they have made this 'personal' choice, yet it doesn't seem to be good enough. This is why things become 'personal', because if you can't understand it, respect the judgement of others when it comes to their choices and have to pass judgements, well, it's really none of your business.

What are you talking about? You are the only one who said you chose it for "personal" reasons, and I questioned you no further. Did everyone else say it was for personal reasons and I just missed it? I'm reading, but can't find that...

Alex, I'm sure you have your reasons :).

Hey guys, I always was happy with people editing my photos and reposting them here. But this thread makes me want to switch to the NOT OK to edit side !

You should definitely join the elite organization, I hear it automatically makes all your photos perfect.

What are you talking about? You are the only one who said you chose it for "personal" reasons, and I questioned you no further. Did everyone else say it was for personal reasons and I just missed it? I'm reading, but can't find that...

And everyone here has tried to let you know why they have made a personal choice- but you refuse to accept what they have tried to explain as valid. Yep, you're missing it.

And everyone here has tried to let you know why they have made a personal choice- but you refuse to accept what they have tried to explain as valid. Yep, you're missing it.

My mistake, I thought you meant the word personal by its definition...meaning private to ones self. If they actually give the reason, its no longer personal. You said your reasons were personal, which I assumed you meant it by definition, so I did not try to get you to disclose your private reasons. But uh...yeah, I guess I missed it.

Ever considered that not everyone posts in the Critique forum? By my last count there is only 1 critique forum, and yet a general gallery, a people and pets gallery, ... etc.

My photos are NOT OK to edit anywhere on this board, since I only post completed works of my own. When I post in the Critique section (and I have seen a few people do this) I say on the bottom that it is ok to edit that one?

And before you jump in and say people don't edit things outside the critique forum, they do, and they did, and without my invite, and that's why I changed from OK to NOT OK.

You should definitely join the elite organization, I hear it automatically makes all your photos perfect.

This reply shows, that you do not at all understand why people set it to "not ok to edit". I know many of them on here, and they are desperate for critizism, they really ask or beg for it sometimes. And they are very willing to listen to ideas and re-think their work. Just they want to keep control about how and what is done to their images, since it is their original work!

If your sexual intercourse with your girlfriend is not perfect, and someone gives you a hint on how to improve it, then you would well listen and try it out, but you would not want that person to do it for you ....

You forgot one:

6. The are new to the forum and upon registering didn't know what they were doing and picked that setting and haven't yet changed it because they haven't posted any shots.

Well after forty days, and forty posts, this is still the best reason. It's time for bed, flame on me all night if you like, I can take it! I won't be replying back in this thread though, I think it's run its course. Thanks to those that made solid efforts to debate.

And if anyone else finds this thread someday down the road looking for answers to the same question I had...look elsewhere.

Happy clicking!

My mistake, I thought you meant the word personal by its definition...meaning private to ones self. If they actually give the reason, its no longer personal. You said your reasons were personal, which I assumed you meant it by definition, so I did not try to get you to disclose your private reasons. But uh...yeah, I guess I missed it.

I think you're ignoring the insight some in this thread are trying to provide to you and disregarding the reasoning behind their choices and categorizing them.

I don't understand why you've made the choice you have made regarding editing, but I respect that and don't see a need to know why, and really, I don't care; I'm sure you have your reasons.

Most reactions

Back