My photos are NOT OK to edit.

BTW, here's the definition of 'personal' I've been refering to;

'particular to a given individual'

Whether revealed, explained, logical or not, it is still personal.

wow what a useless topic. honestly. no one cares if they can or cant edit someone elses pictures. cedew is just looking to argue. but the thing is, this community isnt looking to argue about little insignificant things like this. its once again personal wether someone wants their fine artwork to be taken into photoshop by someone else and edited. thats why we have copy rights is it not? we dont want people changing and or selling our work.

And if anyone else finds this thread someday down the road looking for answers to the same question I had...look elsewhere.
You started off with a set of pre-cemented/baseless notions and you expect us to engage in a 'healthy debate'?

There is a different between stating "You all are a bunch of arrogant heads" VS asking "I wonder why one would turn the No Edit option on".
The latter invites a healthy exchange.

That said, welcome to TPF!

Ha, Daniel - you speak my words!
This was not meant to be a discussion of an issue, but sweeping judgement was passed on every single member on here (which is very personal!) who decided to have their photos NOTE, how can this ever be a healthy exchange, I wonder?
And even those who say that they might consider going from OTE to NOTE after they have read this thread get judged as "joining the elite club that makes their photos good automatically", now in how far can this be "light", healthy or fair?

But the OP says to us to "keep flaming him" all night.
Well, who started this?

Hang on one second, you simply cannot compare this to someone modifying your paintings because your paintings are all originals, and would be permanently changed. This is not the case in the digital world.

To me, this is the worst, " No offence, but I'm not here to learn by having other people change my work." First off, I can't be offended through this screen ;). Second, please explain why you are able to handle the criticism verbally, but not visually?

Why can I not make the direct link between a painting and a digital image?
No doubt a digital image that I have printed off and stored in my portfolio.
Do this not make it an original?
I agree that it wouldn't be permenatly changed as a digital file, but I have no reason for other people to alter my work.

As abraxas has said many times, this is a personal choice. I have no desire for people to modify my work.

I can't see how this makes me:

"1. arrogant, or ignorant.

2. think I am are better than you, therefore you are incapable of producing an image better than their original.

3. old, or unwilling to learn.

4. don't realize the insignificance of other people's opinion on the internet. This one doesn't make sense to me, these are more ways than just visual opinions.

5. hate photoshop."

If some one has some ideas on how I can improve an image, then fine... tell me and I can try a different technique.

Just thought I would add a little tid bit, I believe it was ClarinetJWD that said in a similar thread that once someone has edited your photo, they can legally claim it as their own work. That would be one concern of many and one reason I am thinking of going to Not Ok to Edit.

Just thought I would add a little tid bit, I believe it was ClarinetJWD that said in a similar thread that once someone has edited your photo, they can legally claim it as their own work. That would be one concern of many and one reason I am thinking of going to Not Ok to Edit.

you are right, we had this discussion here ... in a much more civilised manner ;)

That is also one of the reasons I might consider it. But as I have heard here, it also makes my images better and I become elite :p .. don't know were the bitterness of the OP comes from, maybe he just had some bad experience with some arrogant photographer which leaves him a bit biased ...

i'm no where near old =/ maybe abit selfish, i just dont want people using / editing my photos without me knowing

Chris, if you do not stop that, you will get very fat!!! :p

My God a post after my own heart but I would have chosen other words.

To assume any image you make can not be improve or that you have nothing to learn is foolish.

The problem with people who post things and say this is not okay to edit is that it gives the impression that everything they post is perfect and needs nothing else. That is seldom the case. I have shot very few images that I consider beyond improvement. I doubt I have ever shot one.

If I see an image that has a better image locked inside, then see NOT OKAY TO EDIT.. I see not only the oportunity for the one who mde it to have learned something, but I also see it as teaching the wrong lessons to the novice photographer who comes here.

In my opinion it also gives the impression to others that the NOT OKAY TO EDIT photographer is somehow superior to others here, which I assure you is NOT the case. That his or her work can not benefit from changes.

Now that may well be true in my case, but I'm pretty sure that on the fifth Friday in febuary, even I might have a minor change that would make that image better.

As to the edit might make my image worse thinking. Trust me on this forum someone will quickly inform the editor 'your edit stinks'. I have had it said about an edit I thought was a huge improvement.

Even the bad re edit brings on discussion which is what I mistakenly thought a forum was about. I try very hard to obey even the rules I don't like because without them there is anarchy. I see this forum as a help thy neighbor and thy self kind of thing.

Some people are pretty quick to point out other peoples flaws but overlook their own. In that respect it's a lot like the Baptist Church I once belonged to. (nobody would have sex standing up, They were afraid they might be seen and folks would think they were dancing)

One more small point, I can spend an hour of my time trying to get the words right to tell you to crop to a certain line in the image and nobody can visualize the change, or I can spend two minutes making the crop and everyone here can instantly see whether or not it is better.

As for the its like a painting and you can't change it reference. It isn't like a painting because no one is damaging your original. Your image is copyrighted and is your image.. no one is trying to steal it or forever alter the original. If you are afraid of image theft you shouldn't post it here.

As for the name calling... Yes im old too... No one here is more arrogant than I... Yes I think I am a better photographer than you... No I don't like photoshop....ect ect but.....

MY WORK IS ALWAYS OKAY TO EDIT... THIS IS JUST A FORUM IT AIN'T NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC...

My God a post after my own heart but I would have chosen other words.

And most of the times it is the choice of words which makes the difference ;)

The problem with people who post things and say this is not ok to edit is that it gives the impression that everything they post is perfect and needs nothing else.
yes, but as stated above, this is not the message which people wan to bring across when they say "not ok to edit"

the fact that they are around on this forum and ask if not beg for critique means that they want to improve and want feedback. Just some do not want others to touch their work, whether imperfect or not. And that is a valid attitude I think.

Some like to things to be demonstrated to them, others want to learn by listening and then do it by themselves.

In my opinion it also gives the impression to others that the NOT OK TO EDIT photographer is somehow superior to others here, which I assure you is NOT the case.
I see the danger here too ... but it is just a danger of misunderstanding of the not-ok-to-edit option.

After being around for some time on the forum, every former newbie will have learned that not-ok-to-edit has nothing to do with superior images ... just as a high post count in here is not an indicator for a superior photographer. Still comments from people with high post count on the forum are sometimes taken as the word of the gods on this forum .. so there is a misunderstanding too. So should we now remove the postcounts? I think no reason to do so ... quite soon the newbie will learn to judge people here by there images and by the way they behave, and not by "not-ok-to-edit" flags and postcounts and country and gender and age and whether they like bananas or not .... ;)

While CEDEW is really a troll by the definition I understand from the internet, at least he's willing to enter the debate. I'll give him credit for that. The problem he has was starting the discussion by ridiculing and offending people. That's what trolls do, not what debaters do. The discussion was doomed from the start.

Exactly.
This isn't a discussion, this is a I'm right and your wrong thread.
It doesn't seem to matter how I personally feel about my images and the reasoning as to why I have do not edit.
I'm just wrong either way.

so let the thread rest in peace then :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back