My pictures are not as clear as they used to

nawialkair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
I have a Nikon D70 camera with 28-80mm lens.
When I first bought it, the pics were fine when i view them in their complete size (I use the largest size and highest quality). Lately my bother messed with my camera and whenever I view the image in the original size the pictures does not seed to be as clear as the old ones.

He said that he only changed the ISO. I tried to change it back to 300 or so but the problem is still there. Also, I tried to reset everything by pushing the small button at the bottom of the camera, but nothing happened.

What do you think he did? How can I make my camera's pics as they were?

Here is one pic that was very fine:
http://www.safwacity.org/good.JPG

After the mess up:
http://www.safwacity.org/bad.JPG

To be honest, I can't see a lot of difference in the two shots you posted...

Are you talking about the focusing of the images (how 'sharp' the pictures look), or the amount of noise (grain)?

If it is the noise in the images that bothers you, then turn the ISO down as low as you can. Also remember that the longer your exposure, the more noise there will be in the image.

aside from the difference in ISO (make it as low as the light will allow), the only difference there could be is aperture and shutterspeed. if your shutter speed isn't at least 1/the focal length (1/60 for a 55mm lens) you will probably get camera shake resulting in a slight blur.

The other thing is aperture. While aperture creates the depth of field and allows more light onto the sensor, both wide open and stopped down will be less sharp than say f/8.

In my opinion both of those shots look fine. Whats the EXIF data on them (Im not home so I cant check myself).

if you can pin point what the problem is....maybe we can help you better....from the look of those pictures.......i dont see any obvious problem?

also, it would be good to shoot as lowest ISO possible if the situation is allowed.....i'm not sure why you would like the set your ISO at 300?

other aspects such as focal length, aperture, shutter speed would also effect the way the picture appears......many factors come in play when composing a shot.....

ERRMMM .. when looking at those pictures, the one you named "good" seems much softer and less crisp than the one you named "bad".

"bad" has a shallow depth of field, and the nose is more or less in focus (so his eyes are not well focussed).

"good" has the focus on the boys shoulder, also very shallow DOF, but overall more of his face is off focus than in "bad".

The camera is most likely doing its job in both cases, just ... well.

If you are complaining that the camera is not focusing on the centre see what focusing mode it is in. I know in the D200 there is the option for the camer to focus on whatever is closest to the camera.

But I agree infact I like the bad photo much more than the good photo. Both are out of focus but there's not a heck of a lot to complain about.

There is a simple test to check for sharpness. Put camera on a tripod, open aperature to f8 or whatever the sharpest setting on your lens is, manually focus on something that is angled towards the camera to get a depth of field, iso100, and click. Now SOMETHING in that frame should be in focus.

I see what's happened.

The baby image is 3008 x 2000 pixels in size.

The other is only 2440 x 1488 pixels in size

Somewhere down the line the Image Size has been reduced. I don't have a Nikon but I'm sure someone will get it back right.

im not too sure whats wrong with your photos but i think you are just view them in the wrong area when you enlarge your photo

i think its because the area that you focuse on is off, and i mean by the center of focuse is off to another point. other wise there is some thing wrong with your F/stop as well, dont just look in to the ISO setting

Thanks ALL
I will change the ISO and mess a little with the shutter speed and the other things

Thanks Again

Most reactions

Back