1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

My pictures look pixelated, help me please!

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by StephanieBlysPhoto, Jan 12, 2013.

1. StephanieBlysPhoto

StephanieBlysPhoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm hoping I'm doing this in the right place. I've been doing photography for about 6 months now. For some reason when I upload my pictures to Facebook they look very pixelated!? I will look at others pages and their pictures will be crisp and clear! I don't get it? I don't use a high ISO, nothing over 400. So I don't it. I resize them in Photoshop and I size them down to 450. Can someone give me some insight? Thank you.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    When you re-size them, what re-sizing interpolation do you use?

Which Photoshop are you using?

Instead of re-sizing, save a copy for Facebook. In the Save dialog box, lower the Quality setting to 5 or less, which will reduce the files size so you don't have to re-size.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Ummm...not sure but I think around 904 pixels on the longest axis, at 72 ppi looks decent on Facebook. 450 pixel-wide images are pretty darned small. Maybe you are down-sizing your images too much.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    PPI is meaningless for electronic (online) display.

Note: Few computer displays are big enough to show 3807 pixels wide all at one. TPF, and Facebook limit the display size of large images.
    Note: Lowering the PPI somewhat increases the files size.

This image is 3807 x 2719 pixels at 240 PPI, a JPEG quality setting of 5, and has a file size of 615.8k;

[​IMG]

This one of the same photo is still 3807 x 2719 pixels at 1 PPI, a JPEG quality setting of 5, and has a file size of 627k;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013