Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
3 years ago, when I first got my cat, and she was introduced to her new home for the first time, she was so afraid..she slowly crept out of her little cat carrier, and it wasn't long before she found a place to hide...she was like that for about 2 days or so. Well...I just made the one hour trek with Kitty by my side, to my boyfriends house, to introduce her to her new 2nd home, and her new little brother Smokey...I figured she wouldn't be as bad this time, because she knows me and Erik, whereas last time, EVERYTHING was new to her. Well, I've been here for about 45 minutes, and kitty has not once walked into an area of the house that is out in the open..she is slinking in nooks and crannies and by the wall...and Smokey is sooo curious and wants to play with her...but once he gets about a foot from her, she hisses. The 10 week old kitten isn't afraid...but my Aliyah sure is! Right now, she's down by my feet in one of the little cubby holes in this desk. I feel so bad for my poor kitty!

Anyone have experience in getting cats used to each other...or is it just a waiting game?

...and now she's climbed UP INSIDE my boyfriends recliner, and I can't get her out!!! Grrrr! Damn animals!

Oh dear. :lol: Not to laugh, but it's kinda funny! She's traumatized, so it's going to be a waiting game. She has been scoping out the apartment for a place to hide completely, and it sounds like she just found it!

I've heard about keeping two strange animals in separate rooms for a day or so, then introducing them to each other in a safe environment.

Has Aliyah spent much time at Erik's? If not, just being in the new place is traumatic enough at the moment. Smokey has taken a back seat for now.

You might chalk this one up to experience. If you want her to have a chance with Smokey, she needs to feel safe on her own turf, so she can let him know she IS the queen and he will always be a lowly court jester. ;) Once she's established the hierarchy, she can begin to accept him. But I wouldn't expect too much from her in an unfamiliar place. Poor kitty. :cat:

Cats like it up in recliners even when they aren't afraid. They like cozy little dark places where they can hide and plot evil things on the humans. :D

Now dogs are smarter. They don't go hiding inside recliners... they jump up and sit in the recliner. Must more comfortable and they can see when the human comes home so they can jump down real quick and pretend they didn't even know the recliner was there. :D

Give the cat time. Don't try and force them to together. They will work it out in time, just like she got use to your last place. Be very careful not to let her outside though or she will find a place to hide that you might not find her in.

If all else fails... get a dog. ;)

Mike

Well, after an hour, I made her come out of the recliner, I put BOTH cats in their respective carriers, faced em together, and made em sit that way for a while. Neither one of em complained much...now I let my cat out, so she can explore for a little bit (the recliner is blocked off with blankets and pillows)...she's still cautious, but not slinking quite so much. The kitten sure is putting up a fuss! My poor cat is in for an awakening soon...cuz little kitty is gonna have to come out. Oh, and this is Aliyah's first time being in any other house outside her cage, in the past 3 years. So yeah...it's very new to her. When Erik brought the kitten home, he made sure we knew this was HIS place in about 5 minutes...so it's gonna take some time. I'm really hoping Aliyah will eventually take her dominant role, and help keep the psycho kitten in line! :lol:

ok...just put Smokey in the bathroom...Aliyah is doing a good amount of exploring now. That's good.

core_17 said:
Well, after an hour, I made her come out of the recliner, I put BOTH cats in their respective carriers, faced em together, and made em sit that way for a while. Neither one of em complained much...now I let my cat out, so she can explore for a little bit (the recliner is blocked off with blankets and pillows)...she's still cautious, but not slinking quite so much. The kitten sure is putting up a fuss! My poor cat is in for an awakening soon...cuz little kitty is gonna have to come out. Oh, and this is Aliyah's first time being in any other house outside her cage, in the past 3 years. So yeah...it's very new to her. When Erik brought the kitten home, he made sure we knew this was HIS place in about 5 minutes...so it's gonna take some time. I'm really hoping Aliyah will eventually take her dominant role, and help keep the psycho kitten in line! :lol:

ok...just put Smokey in the bathroom...Aliyah is doing a good amount of exploring now. That's good.

That's too funny...:mrgreen: Cats are such unique beings, one wonders...

Well, from my own experience with Beethoven (about a year ago) being brought in our two-older-cats house, I have learned that the new cat/kitten becomes the dominant one. At least in most cases. Beethoven 'rules' the other two cats, Tiger and Duncan McCloud. Duncan is not particularly fond of Beethoven but he tolerates him. Tiger and Beethoven are best buddies, same with Beethoven and our Dachsie doggie.

Give them time, usually takes up to two weeks to becoming friends and letting go of the hissing or fighting. Most of all give them both lots of love and encouragement, sometimes cats fight for their human master's attention and love (part of their territory), much like dogs.

Post some pics of them two cats when they'll be on good terms with each other, will ya?... :mrgreen:

Awwwww how cute. I don't have cats and just don't understand them at all but i wouldn't have shown her the new house and the new kitty at the same time... but you've locked the little kitty away now. So hopefully she'll get used to the new house and relax a little and then ya can hit her with the new kitty (not literally of course).

I don't think I could ever have a cat, I mean they're nice and all and very very cute but when I was little my best friend had 2 cats and one day, one of them went peepee in their car. It just absolutely stank!!! :puke: and stank and stank. for ages! They ended up getting the car professionally cleaned it was so bad.... then the cat did it in their other car too! And I used to spend a lot of time in their cars. I'll be traumatised for life. Nooooo. But kitties are sooo cute!!!!

I think you should shave Smokey. That way Aliyah can laugh at him and Smokey will feel like an idiot so he won't pick on Aliyah.

Give this a go. Get a cloth and rub is on Aliyah. Around her face mainly. Then rub that cloth around the house. The idea is that you spread around Aliyah's scent so that the house smells like home. She'll feel safer. Smokey may not like it though.

Well, they are going on day 3 together...Aliyah HATES Smokey...before this, I'd heard her hiss ONE TIME ever...and now, she has hissed and growled so much, I'm surprised she can still do it. She's used to the apartment, but Smokey is RELENTLESS! He runs after her..prowls, stalks...endlessly. My cat has marooned herself behind the washer and dryer (no way to get in except to jump from the top down behind it) 3 times just to get away from Smokey!!!! We seem to be making baby steps though...She will allow him a little bit (not much) closer to her if he is not stalking and pouncing. Which is rare.

So we have had to keep the bathroom door closed, since that is where the washer and dryer are. At the moment, Aliyah is asleep inside the recliner..Smokey is keeping vigil right outside the recliner.

Don't worry, they will get better. I see this all the time at the farm. Especially with new dogs, at first they are afraid of each other or will fight. Eventually they used to one another. Even with dogs & cats, the dog eventually realize that they don't need to chase the cats and before you knew it...they are sleeping together for warmth.

Dogs have more of a pack mentality so they soon establish their roles, either dominant or submissive. Cats, well who knows but once the kitten settles down your 'fraydie cat' should be OK.

I came home today, and my kitty was gonna come with me..but they almost seem like they are starting to play...ALMOST...so I left her there so I don't impede their progress. I miss my kitty. :( (s'all right...I'll see her tommorrow night. :) )

When do you think you'll try the reverse? Let Aliyah come home, and then bring Smokey over for a visit. :shock:

Sounds like fun, eh? :lol:

Actually you probably did the right thing by leaving her over there....except she might be wondering if she's ever coming home again!

terri said:
When do you think you'll try the reverse? Let Aliyah come home, and then bring Smokey over for a visit. :shock:

Sounds like fun, eh? :lol:

Actually you probably did the right thing by leaving her over there....except she might be wondering if she's ever coming home again!

Not sure yet when I'm gonna try that...I think it'll have to wait til I kitten proof my apartment! :lol: It probably won't be too long, though...but it's tougher to do that, because I'm home a lot less than Erik is, and I visit him at his house more than he visits me at my house (it just works better for the summer, especially since one of my jobs is over there near where he lives). So...we'll see. Maybe next week he'll come over for a short 2 day visit. I just hope that Psycho little kitten (my name for him is Lucifer, by the way) calms down eventually.

"Psycho Little-Kitten" has a nice ring to it, as well. :lmao:

Too funny! Well, good luck with it, and keep us posted. I expect you to have the camera ready for one of these visits... ;)

terri said:
"Psycho Little-Kitten" has a nice ring to it, as well. :lmao:

Too funny! Well, good luck with it, and keep us posted. I expect you to have the camera ready for one of these visits... ;)

Yeah...I had planned to take pics this past few days, but I've been tired and grumpy, and just plain didn't feel like it. I'll get some though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back