My POTD - Sunset

Hi oldmacman,

I enjoyed this series quite a bit. Composition is good in all of them. Your mention of a focal matter doesn't really come into play with these imo , they work as is.

#1 is perfect

#2 My least favourite but still good. Could have used the same light the other 3 have... last shot of the set I'm going to guess? Maybe a couple stacked next time, get more colour from the sky. Comp is best in this one though.

#3 The Sun is just a tad too hot. A run with the burn tool can fix that easily. As well, a little too much foreground but, in a frame, it will look fine.

#4 Same as above, Sun just too hot. Stack a couple with the "Sun shot" @ around F22 and combine it with one exposed for the whole scene, should work out nicely.

Overall, these are very nice images. The great thing about being close to an area like this is, you can get a different shot everyday.

Hope these comments help you -- keep shooting.

Yep, the colors certainly are beautiful :sillysmi:

What was your camera set up for these and what did you do in post? I still fail miserably at capturing colors like that with Sunsets... or... any landscape for that matter. :lol:

Lens - 17-40 and generally set it around 19mm and with F13 (I use a 5D mk II).
Filter - ND grad .6 and shot everything raw.

For the really blue shot that doesn't have a sun, I flipped the WB over to fluorescent to give it a blue cast.

PP - Tweak highlight reduction and recovery (if the sun got too hot) until I got the rays back. I was attracted to the rays created by the bits of clouds around the sun and wanted to see if I could capture that. Black point, saturation and vibrancy all brought up a hair or two.

I'm sad to say that just about every shot needed a horizon adjustment. Funny how it looks right in the camera, but is off once you see it big on screen.

Hi oldmacman,

I enjoyed this series quite a bit. Composition is good in all of them. Your mention of a focal matter doesn't really come into play with these imo , they work as is.

#1 is perfect

#2 My least favourite but still good. Could have used the same light the other 3 have... last shot of the set I'm going to guess? Maybe a couple stacked next time, get more colour from the sky. Comp is best in this one though.

#3 The Sun is just a tad too hot. A run with the burn tool can fix that easily. As well, a little too much foreground but, in a frame, it will look fine.

#4 Same as above, Sun just too hot. Stack a couple with the "Sun shot" @ around F22 and combine it with one exposed for the whole scene, should work out nicely.

Overall, these are very nice images. The great thing about being close to an area like this is, you can get a different shot everyday.

Hope these comments help you -- keep shooting.

Thanks for your feedback. I've tried stacking before, but I only have a .6 and a .9. I haven't had luck with that combination. You're right, number 2 was the last in the series. The sun had already set and there was just a bit of glow on the horizon.

I'll see if I can go back and burn in the sun a bit. At the very least it is good practice.

Yep, the colors certainly are beautiful :sillysmi:

What was your camera set up for these and what did you do in post? I still fail miserably at capturing colors like that with Sunsets... or... any landscape for that matter. :lol:

Don't blame yourself, it is that location.....PA. ;):mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back