My reef tank.

5doorfury

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am VERY new to photography (first camera ever!), and I am still learning the ins and outs of all of this. I mainly bought my camera to photograph my fish tank, but now I can't help but carry it with me everywhere!

One thing before commenting though, I do not own any photo editing software, so if you want to suggest it, I would rather you please suggest a good program at a good price.

Thank you in advance for being gentle, yet honest, with me!

I know I can use the help! :D

#1 (zoanthus sp.)

CSC_0293.jpg

#2(potatochipcoral)

DSC_0269.jpg

#3 (frogspawn)

CSC_0288.jpg

#4 (pulsing xenia)

CSC_0102.jpg

Great job for your first shots... keep it going!
Try #3 again and get all the little arms focused and that should turn out great.
As for editing software... theres lots.
Depends... DO you want to pay/how much?

Thanks for the responses so far! Keep them coming!

As for the editing software, I honestly don't have a clue what they go for, but I probably would just want something basic, so that I can makes parts of the pictures darker to bring out the main object.

(if that makes any sense)

Re: software. I am shooting a Nikon D40, and I know that is supposed to be a pretty basic model, so the software would have to be compatible.

Again, I don't know if that makes any difference.

Any editing software can be used with any camera... at least all that I know of (besides special Sony or Nikon editing software).

Adobe - Photo Management Software - Photoshop Lightroom

Prices can get high. You can try downloading Picasa... or get a license key to a bigger product... if you do that...

lightroom is win... seriously... does everything that most ppl need... photo management, raw processing, a decent amount of editing... etc..

Is that the $300 one?

Also, any other comments on the photos? Suggestions?

It's quite a few bucks unless you go to thepiratebay... if your a pirate :lol:

man if your just shooting snapshots and photos of your fish tank dont buy any software you would just be wasting your money...go download gimp or paint.net (paint.net is a program and not a site incase ya didn't know) gimp is a little more complicated. its just like photoshop. also, that looks like quite a setup for your fish tank. can you take some of the whole tank and post them id like to see. you got any fishies in there?

I too purchased my camera to take pictures of my reef. I am finding that it's one of the hardest things to photograph, with trying to get the white balance right. Nice job on the pictures. Really like the colors of the zoanthid. The program I purchased was Photoshop Elements 7. Seems to do everything I need for now. Cost was around $100 CAD.

i feel like i'm underwater, cool stuff!

Regarding the fish. I have to play around a bit more before I get a good enough shot of the fish. They are a lot harder for me to shoot, due to them moving(obviously ;)). I know I need to crank up the shutter speed, but I am still working in Program Auto mode, so I don't have full control of that yet.

Same thing goes for the full tank shot.

@ Scotty- I do plan to start taking my photography to the next level, but I have a lot of learning to do yet. I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks all for the complements! If anyone has further suggestions, I am open to hear them!

Most reactions

Back