My sister wants in on this. :)

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by JimmyJaceyMom, Sep 4, 2007.

1. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all, My sister (well, sister-in-law really but I've known her since we were 15 and 18) is a photographer, went to school but was never interested in 'people' photography until my recent trash the dress shoot. So she gave it a try and wants to know how did she do. I helped her some with setting up the shots and settings on the camera for some but mostly she took the reins. Some are OOF but other than that she did WAY better than I did for my first portraits!

I post it here in the professional gallery only because she is wanting to get good at this and join me in my, at the moment, teeny, tiny business. I am wondering what you guys feel about partners and if any of you have them.
    Anyhow here are the pics. Don't make fun of the uncomfortable, chubby subject! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. ~Stella~

~Stella~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1 and 3 are my favorites - I love the green constrasting with the red hair.

As far as partnership goes, if you want a formal partnership, I'd advise you get a formal partnership agreement in writing, detailing how you would deal with transferability of ownership, profits, expenses, and liabilities, including legal action as well as how to dissolve the partnership. You wouldn't need to set up an LLC or other corporate entity, but if you are in this full-time, I would consider it - talk to your tax peeps about the benefits of an LLC, if you decide to move in that direction. Good luck!

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #3 is hands-down my favorite of the bunch. Very well done. #2 has lots of potential but it's OOF...so toss it.

As for partnerships...they do have their benefits but they can also add unnecessary strain on a small & growing business. My suggestion would be to have her subcontract with your business or something like that. That way, you still have control over the decision making of 'your' business. You can & should work together...but at least you won't fold up the company over an argument on the color of the font of the business cards...or something stupid like that.

4. ~Stella~

~Stella~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good points, but be aware that for legal liability purposes, this set-up can very easily be construed as a partnership in court, whether it is or not. Photography isn't a high-liability business, though, so while that's probably not at the top of the list of priorities, it should be somewhere on the list.

5. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Stella - thanks for the input and advice. If I make any moves as far as sharing business with her it won't be for a whole as she isn't ready yet but that is great advice for when the time comes and she is comfortable enough with portraits. The things you mention are good to know for then. :)

Big Mike - Oh cool, number three is the one I like too... A quad had just driven through that creek and it made a perfect path with those leaves to go right around a subject and it wasn't so dark right then so the reflection was awesome. I'm babbling. But anyhow I see what you mean about the subcontracting. That is a good idea. I do like to work with her because she is such a creative person and it's nice to have a person there to help with everything whereas when you're alone it can get tough. But I don't know how to pay her... a percentage? I have no idea. Guess I should figure that out!

6. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I will definately figure all of that out before taking any steps, I didn't think about that. Thanks again.

7. ~Stella~

~Stella~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You could probably zap that issue as far as models by having them sign a short statement that they understood the relationship along with their release (you could even combine the docs, I suppose), but as to third parties, obviously that wouldn't work. Plus, like a release, it's not going to be effective as to minors and whatnot. Just throwing that out. It's one of those things that will probably never be an issue, but you just never know. If you carry liability insurance, you'd need to figure out coverage as well.

8. J.Ed

J.Ed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't make fun of the uncomfortable, chubby model!

I,for one, would rather see a "real world" model than the anorexic waifs that are portrayed as the ideal body type.

As to her comfort, she knew the job was dangerous when she took it!

9. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Kathi, I love shot #3. I think the reddish hair and the look on the girls face is just perfect. I also love the reflection of the dress in that shot too.

10. Jeepnut28

Jeepnut28 TPF Noob!

I am not a fan of the smearing of the mud on oneself for some reason.....it just doesnt give it an appealing look to me......that being said I like your other shots and #3 with her reflection is great!

11. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    these are all pretty good, but 2 is unusable. It's not sharp and has camera shake that would be plain as day in a print.

12. heip

heip TPF Noob!

Very nicely done!! 3 & 4 rock!