My sister's having a baby and...

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to take some shots of her before, and the newborn (due in Feb). However, I've never done portraits or people photography and this is an opportunity I don't want to fubar. I have a D40.

Sadly, I only have a 55-200vr, I managed to destroy my 18-55 (don't ask).

Would a 50mm/1.8 be a nice lens to use? Or should I get another 18-55 and play with that? Trying to keep it low cost b/c I also plan to get a SB-600 to help with the shots.

Suggestions please. I once I get the lens my lighting will be my biggest obstacle. I hope I can afford the SB-600 right now

Take the shots outside on a cloudy day. Use the equipment you have.
or
Shoot her inside during the afternoon standing by a window, use the soft afternoon window light. Either on a cloudy day or use a window on the side of the house away from the sun.
Again you can use the equipment you have.
Cloudy days give you plenty of nice soft light as do shots by windows, much better than useing a flash you are unfamiliar with.

good idea, and thanks. ill give it a shot!

still want a reason to buy another lens... which one!? ;)

50 f/1.8 is okay but you're going to be manually focusing on your camera.

i also wouldnt be using a bare sb600 inside a small room, its amazing how much light you get out of even low power. need some sort of modifier like a lightbox or umbrella.

50 f/1.8 is okay but you're going to be manually focusing on your camera.

i also wouldnt be using a bare sb600 inside a small room, its amazing how much light you get out of even low power. need some sort of modifier like a lightbox or umbrella.

crap on the AF. didnt think about that

ok good pointing out. maybe a lightbox is in order. more reason to buy photog stuff and learn! :mrgreen:

When using on camera flash remember there are always the bounce options....walls ceilings....give you the effect of using a huge umbrella. As long as the wall you are bouncing from is not some weird color....much better than just hitting your subject with straight flash.

When using on camera flash remember there are always the bounce options....walls ceilings....give you the effect of using a huge umbrella. As long as the wall you are bouncing from is not some weird color....much better than just hitting your subject with straight flash.

you mean like an SB-600 right?

what other lens would be good and AF

I don't know much about the D40 but I believe it has no focus motor, so you need to get lenses that can focus on their own or else you have to manually focus..you don't want that.
My first lens was a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Macro.
Sharp sharp lens I think it was about $400. but for the money you won't beat it for a sharp general purpose lens with Macro.

If you take unclothed pictures of an infant, I have a few logistical suggestions:

* Time it towards the end of their nap. Start with pictures while they are soundly asleep and work a few pictures after their awake just after their feeding (or during)
* Make the room rather warm... almost too warm for adults. Keep the infant comfy.
* If you want to photos that isolate the infant in a parent's arms/hands, have some dark velour material available. Even some soft velour blankets make a good use to wrap the infant and or use in around the shoot.

Most reactions

Back