TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I figure if the rest of the known universe has shot smoke I should try too:lol:

Smoke1.jpg

Interesting! :D
Now I am the only exception?
For I always felt part of the universe, but ... I have never photographed smoke so far (wouldn't know where to find it).

cool photo. i've been wanting to try to photograph smoke for a long time now, would you please oh please share your setup and settings with us?

Thanks guys. Ernie, I will share my settings though there are probably better as I learned after the shoot
I hung a piece of black cloth on a wall and lit a stick of incense. The incense smoke was roughly three feet from the cloth and maybe two feet off the ground. Next, i placed a remotely controlled flash head to the right of the smoke about two to three feet away. The camera was about six feet from the smoke, nine feet from the cloth. I used a 40-150mm lens which I auto focused on the incense stick then switched to manual focus so I had the focal distance locked. Then I totally darkened the room and flashed away. I also made sure all doors and windows were closed so the smoke would rise in a column. Flash was at full power camera was f4, 100 ISO and 1/60th of a sec. If I shoot again like this, I will find a way to stop any of the flash from hitting the backdrop by using some sort of flag as it was a lot of work crushing down the backdrop in post without affecting the smoke too much.

Most reactions

Back