My son, narrow DOF

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am blessed by his presence. However, he is very co-operative because he loves his Father. I was trying out the 55-200 on him, trying different angles, heights, widths. I see light so differently than the book @tirediron mentions. However, the instruction is good concerning the camera movements. I get tripped up in the per-visualization, probably because he is my son. Anyway, here is a real bad rendition of my best bud, SOOC jpeg. This image deserves a medium format resolution. Granted, I am unable to execute a quality image at this time, I am less than satisfied in the resolution of the composition.

Andrew.jpg

I am so struggling to produce an image that is of quality. I love people and want to portrait them as such. I am borderline ready to give up because I haven't the skill.

Good lookin young man!

Very handsome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great photo, excellent composition. A couple technical details I can see, however...

I would try to dim the amount of light going to the forehead & hair just a touch, maybe pulling down the highlight in PP would accomplish that.

I'm a little disturbed by the hand being out of focus.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I am so struggling to produce an image that is of quality. I love people and want to portrait them as such. I am borderline ready to give up because I haven't the skill.

JC you're always growing in your skill, so don't get frustrated. Couple of comments the eyes are super sharp, but the DOF is extremely shallow. Unlike the fantastic floral images you produce, you need more DOF to keep the facial features in focus. One thing that's helped me on portraits is the addition of an exposure meter. Granted you can use your in camera meter on spot, to sample the face, but using a meter is so much quicker to dial it in. The other thing that helped in portraits was the addition of the Alien Bees, modifiers, and the big octabox. With the meter and the lights it's quick and easy to dial in the exposure and be really close the first time. Something that keeps the model happy. The last thing, I know you're big on SOOC right now, but Raw is the way to go for portraits, you can correct a lot of sins post.

JC you're always growing in your skill, so don't get frustrated. Couple of comments the eyes are super sharp, but the DOF is extremely shallow. Unlike the fantastic floral images you produce, you need more DOF to keep the facial features in focus. One thing that's helped me on portraits is the addition of an exposure meter. Granted you can use your in camera meter on spot, to sample the face, but using a meter is so much quicker to dial it in. The other thing that helped in portraits was the addition of the Alien Bees, modifiers, and the big octabox. With the meter and the lights it's quick and easy to dial in the exposure and be really close the first time. Something that keeps the model happy. The last thing, I know you're big on SOOC right now, but Raw is the way to go for portraits, you can correct a lot of sins post.

Thanks bud. I really tried hard to make the DOF focus narrow. I purposely pushed it to create a style. I think I failed but it was a great lesson. I know it is not that great but I am very happy to have found another knot in the string that @Derrel guided with. Eventually, I want to be able narrow things by third areas.

Great photo, excellent composition. A couple technical details I can see, however...

I would try to dim the amount of light going to the forehead & hair just a touch, maybe pulling down the highlight in PP would accomplish that.

I'm a little disturbed by the hand being out of focus.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Is the hand out of focus a no no? I had the glass so small focus pointed and wide open.

The narrow dof isn't bad for portraits necessarily, if you're trying to single out the eyes as often done in romantic shots by candlelight.

The hand would work very well with f/16 or even f/22. I wouldn't use a higher ISO to achieve that, use a tripod & use a longer shutter speed.

I personally have to say that having an out of focus spot that big hanging out there by itself is distracting. If you put his hand more in front, as on a table or on the back of a tall chair, out of focus could work.

I really tried hard to make the DOF focus narrow.

I'm confused by this statement. Why??? What were your trying to achieve? The hand OOF is minor IMO, the face/chin being OOF that much is very distracting. Maybe had you captured more DOF on the face, the hand being OOF would work giving depth to image?? Again I'm confused as to what you were shooting for, maybe elaborate more?

I really tried hard to make the DOF focus narrow.

I'm confused by this statement. Why??? What were your trying to achieve? The hand OOF is minor IMO, the face/chin being OOF that much is very distracting. Again I'm confused as to what you were shooting for, maybe elaborate more?
I was trying to be creative with the lens. Forcing the OOF areas. I have images that are sharp throughout,. I was trying to imitate images I seen with a Fujifilm GX680III medium format film camera. I like the render of a person where the eyes are focused and the rest is not important but not to a point of distraction. I know I failed. However, by posting this image, maybe I would Garner insight on improving a controlled focus to create drama, interest, and an exceptional composition.

The narrow dof isn't bad for portraits necessarily, if you're trying to single out the eyes as often done in romantic shots by candlelight.

The hand would work very well with f/16 or even f/22. I wouldn't use a higher ISO to achieve that, use a tripod & use a longer shutter speed.

I personally have to say that having an out of focus spot that big hanging out there by itself is distracting. If you put his hand more in front, as on a table or on the back of a tall chair, out of focus could work.
Wow, thank you! That is very helpful. Very encouraging, moving forward.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back