My son's pic using 85mm f/1.2, C&C please.

wet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_1334_1.jpg

f/1.2? Wow!

The shot was obviously a "grab the moment" shot so there isn't much criticism that can be leveled at you. I do think that it's amazing that you could get the background out-of-focus when it's only inches behind your son's face.

For shots like this, I wouldn't be concerned about critiques from others. You'll treasure this one thirty years from now!

Here's sampling of my favorites.

Thanks for your advise.
I was just wondering if I should brigthen it up a bit.
tt

Thanks for your advise.
tt

Considering the subject matter, my opinion shouldn't matter at all. It's not likely that you're looking to sell the picture and it's also not likely that a buyer would be interested in a shot of someone else's child. Brighten it up if YOU think it will help. Whatever you do or don't do, be certain to put this picture away for the future. I am now looking at some 40-year old shots that really bring back good memories.

tt
Looks fine as is to me.

Is this the EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM "Keg" lens? Couple friends of have this lens and they love it, especially on their full frame bodies.

f/1.2? Wow!

The shot was obviously a "grab the moment" shot so there isn't much criticism that can be leveled at you. I do think that it's amazing that you could get the background out-of-focus when it's only inches behind your son's face.

For shots like this, I wouldn't be concerned about critiques from others. You'll treasure this one thirty years from now!

I am just suprised that you are so shocked that the 1.2 can do that. The dof in that lens you can put the tip of his nose in focus and his ears out of focus. That is the best part of fast lenses!

Also Great timeless pics that you will love in 40 years when you look back. You should print that for yourself and when he gets married in 20 years or so pull it out for the future wife!@!!!

This is an awesome lens. I really like it. The downside is $1900 too expensive. Took me awhile to get use to the shallow DOF, I am still trying to get better at optimizing the focusing point. Sometimes I guesstimate incorrectly & threw my subject out of focus very quickly.

f/1.2? Wow!

I am just suprised that you are so shocked that the 1.2 can do that. The dof in that lens you can put the tip of his nose in focus and his ears out of focus. That is the best part of fast lenses!

Also Great timeless pics that you will love in 40 years when you look back. You should print that for yourself and when he gets married in 20 years or so pull it out for the future wife!@!!!

Who said "shocked?" I said "amazing." In fact, I'm amazed at what my 85 mm f/1.8 does. If truth be told, I'd have to add that I'm still amazed at what the 50mm f/1.4 that I purchased in 1964 can do!

Check my pics. You'll see the kind of shots that I like.

Last edited:
This is an awesome lens. I really like it. The downside is $1900 too expensive. Took me awhile to get use to the shallow DOF, I am still trying to get better at optimizing the focusing point. Sometimes I guesstimate incorrectly & threw my subject out of focus very quickly.

Yeah, my 85mm f/1.8 was somewhere around a quarter of that price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back