my stock photos C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by redtippmann, Jun 10, 2009.

1. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi, today I worked on some photos for a stock photo site called shutterstock. I have to upload 10 photos and have them evaluate them, so here are the ones for today. Any other ideas for subjects would also be appreciated!

[​IMG]
    2 (yea i have to work on the bottom of them)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4 i took all the symbols off so would that be ok?
    [​IMG]
    and then 5
    [​IMG]

2. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1, 2 and 5 seem to have dirty backgrounds...things that need to be cleaned up

3 has a greyish background, kinda grainy. The back of the liquid is somethat blurry too

2 like you said, needs some work on the post processing

Not sure how stock worthy these are, specially on Shutterstock. Search for Apple and see the top results and compare to your #5 and decide if its worthy.
    They are good pictures, but I know Shutterstock is really picky about stuff. The pictures are very ordinary, nothing really sets them apart from the rest.
    I searched apple and got 53760 hits

I guess it will depend on the reviewer who looks at your submission.

Are these for your 10 initial ones for entry or do you already have an account? If you have an account, clean up the backgrounds, fix up the photoshop and submit.

3. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Have another look at your editing, you still have areas you missed when cloning out the background. And some of your edges don't look so hot (notably the bananas). I hate to say it but these still need a lot of work before they're gonna accept them. The bar is pretty high when it comes to stock photography (at least for most stock photography sites).

4. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK thanks! I used a white brush on the background for them so don't know how they can be dirty. But it might be that im using copy paper and 2 lava lamp lights(they get HOT);)

5. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What program are you editing these with? And lava lamps??? The ones with the colored stuff that floats around in them from the 60's and 70's?

6. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    im using gimp because i cant afford any thing (not old enough to work) and yea i took the glass off the lava lamps and aimed them at the subject. Their fairly bright but can get some dark areas.

7. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here is a good tool to do some product photography. I've made one and you can check through my flickr stream to see some of the shots I've done with it. It's far better than trying to clone all of the crap out of the background.

And there isn't anything wrong with using Gimp, but you're photos have to be somewhat good before you edit. Even Photoshop has it's limits in making in-camera errors go away.

8. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks I've always been meaning to make one of these but never got around to it. Ill start now!

9. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do a few searches on their website to get an idea what they're looking for and what sells well.

As mentioned, background needs more work - they would probably get declined if you submitted them as is. (With the exception of #4 - that one looks clean. ...But, I see a few spots on the phone that should get cloned out.)

RE: taking the symbols off.

Yes, you have to do that. They will decline it if you don't. Just make sure your cloning is invisible.

Clean the item before you photograph it. That will save you time in PP.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, the good stocks sites will reject anything with much post processing beyond a little sharpening.

Cloning and a brushed background....................

11. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't think he should clone out the spots (whatever that is) in the background?

(Obviously, it would have been better if they weren't there in the first place - but they are.)

12. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well even if a site accepts them, it doesn't mean anyone will purchase them. Especially with subject matter that there are over 50k other options. No offense to the OP, but the stock photography game is not easy to get into. You have seasoned vets you're up against so you're shots have to be top notch.