My street cred ...

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have mentioned that I do not do portraits and I hate using flash ... but I have.

Environmental portrait shot on work site ... which was the basement of our house.

Bronica SQ-A, Zenzanon PS 80mm, Agfa Pan 400, scanned on a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi II.
Single Metz 60 CT-1 bounced off plain white umbrella.
Looking back at it now I should have used Iford Pan F plus, but I was a photography youth.

dad by Dennis, on Flickr

Ok, so I am not so good at it.

I actually got "formal" training in photography. After I got my first SLR (Canon T-70) in the 80's, I decide that I really wanted to know about printing my own photographs ... so I went to Humber College to learn Photography.
They taught me a bit more than just processing ... portraiture was one course they taught, and I got my worst marks in that subject.
I did very well with B&W processing/printing ... and the most amazing course was still life, as I learned about light ... my text book was Light, Science, and Magic.

I think you're a nut if you think there's something wrong with this portrait! and it's dad, so there you go.

I learned darkroom work too at a grad college workshop but never got into formal portraiture; I've taken what I consider to be in-game portraits, etc.

... well, I really meant I am not good at portraiture in general ... I am was never comfortable with using people as subjects ... probably why I say I am not "good" at it.
I'll try to find another portrait image from the past, since I've pulled out my scanner ... will probably post some more film images out of the archives.

That is an awesome environmental portrait.

" Bronica SQ-A, Zenzanon PS 80mm, Agfa Pan 400, scanned on a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi II.
Single Metz 60 CT-1 bounced off plain white umbrella
"

Ermaghhherd!!!! I have some of that same gear!

Nice shot you made. Always liked my Bronica system. The Zenzanons were/are nice lenses!

Thanks. I didn't do much of this type of photography after finishing the courses ... wasn't my thing ... and also not easy to do. I give much credit to those in the forum that do portraiture !!

I forgot to add ... ambient light supplied by a 200W halogen work light.

Yeah, I really liked my Bronica ... sadly I sold it long ago.

Last edited:
The only thing I would do differently, is to bring down the highlights just a smidge; it's awfully difficult to manage contrast with a single light, even bounced off an umbrella. For me, it would have been a three light set up: Main, filler, and background.

You've captured the warmth and humanity of the craftsman.

Portraiture is a long practiced and learned craft. You and the subjects get warmer and more comfortable as your skill level rises. That's an excellent starter.

Bravo!

Looking back on it now, shooting flash and with film ... our current digital camera's make it much easier to shoot, view, and reshoot.
Luckily I had a polaroid back for my Bronica, though a much slower and more expensive previewing system.

Nice image, I think the Agfa 400 fits the mood. I remember having to pose for a few similar images when my sister took one of her portrait classes.
Interesting to see the Dole box (banana?) in the background, looks like it was from before they put the sun-rays inside the o.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back