My trip to Scotland. *56kers beware!!**

Wow. (my first post) I can totally relate to the scenery you photographed because I happen to live in Scotland and my family frequently visits the western isles. I must say I am super impressed with most of your pics. I guess by your vast array of equipment you are a pro. Any particular techniques you used?

jophassa said:
Wow. (my first post) I can totally relate to the scenery you photographed because I happen to live in Scotland and my family frequently visits the western isles. I must say I am super impressed with most of your pics. I guess by your vast array of equipment you are a pro. Any particular techniques you used?
I'm the jealous one! I'd love to live near scenery like that all the time! :)

Not all the kit was not mine, I'm not a pro in anyway shape or form I'm afraid. Its just a hobby for me although I'd love to sell a few pics from time to time, maybe one day...! :)

Could you tell me what camera you used to photograph those red squirrels? The colours look so rich and the furr looks really amazing.

All the shots were with my D200. The squirrels were taken with the Nikon 300mm f2.8 prime lens and I was using fill in flash from my SB800, I think that helped lift the colours nicely as we were actually under tree cover and it wasn't too bright so I was also shooting at ISO 400. :)

really? that is worrying for me. i am a bit too afraid to use high ISO. i dont know why, it isnt because i think it looks better or anything, i just amnt too sure when to use highish ISO. I would have thought 100 would be enough for that scene.

High ISO is fine as long as you don't have too much dark in the scene. Noise shows up far more in dark areas. The Squirrel shot was taken at about 1/320s at f2.8 ISO 400 (needed as fast a shutter speed as I could get due to focul length and the speed these little guys run around at!). That should give you an idea of how dark it was! If I didn't have the flash gun it would not have worked half as well!

Just read everything.. that's very cool that you had an opportunity to go to Scotland! I've always wanted to head over there and get some shots. You've inspired me to go out and take pictures! haha. Great shots... I especially love the one with the Highland Cattle is it? That's a very cool shot and the hair on him makes the picture. haha.

Great job and I'm jealous of your camera. Maybe.. just maybe when I'm not a poor college student like I am, I could get a camera just like it one day.

Good series, I loved it!
-mike

Amazing shots! I love the ones of the cattle, sheep in the sunset, and the squirrels!

Oh and the zoom on the moon is unreal!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back