my turn with the box

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So inspired by a thread posted a few days ago I went out and made my own $10 box. The plan is to photograph my mom's glass work so she can have a portfolio. Need more practice with shiny things though. Not as easy as I thought it was lol. I'm pretty new to this and while I think these are pretty decent I know there's room to improve so please let me know how.

4292418894_79cdd16652_b.jpg

4292416486_ae74f4e314_b.jpg

4291681193_ce8983a629_b.jpg

I just made one of these today too it was very fun!

What are you using to light it? The light seems uneven and to harsh on the right side.

I have my LumpoPro speedlight on the right hand side. I tried pulling the light back, powering down, opening aperature, and couldn't really keep the lighting consistent. I kind of like the light on the first one though. Too much you think?

It is kind of a cool effect on the wine bottle (maybe a bit to much but I like the shot) but the rockstar is to much I think. What power was your flash on?

I am not an expert just giving you my opinion, today was my first attempt as well!

How'd it go for you Dark? I wanted to get my second flash on the other side to try and even it out but wasn't able to do so. I'm going to need one more adapter which I'll be getting this week at the local shop lol.

Wow! Two of my all-time favorite beverages! That particular riesling is delicious, and diet RockStar, well, 'nuff said! What I see on both of the beverage shots is a slightly too-hot specular highlight, with actually burned-out areas on the wine bottle and just above the star on the RockStar. I also see a need for a bit more fill lighting on the frontal planes of both the wine bottle, the RockStar, and also the lens.

You might like to try cutting a disc of aluminum foil and putting it underneath the wine bottle's bottom. I would try and get some more light coming in onto the front of the lens and the RockStar, because as you can see the white of the RockStar can is rendered a light grayish color, and not white.

You could try using a Foam-Core board as a reflector to get more light bounced onto the front surfaces of all the objects, since this looks like basically the same lighting set-up with just three different subjects shuffled into place. The reflector might have to be rather close too--in fact, maybe right out of the camera's view and inside of a foot from the object.

Dont want to post my pictures in your thread so I will link you to a few

ModelCarLightbox on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

FlyersLightbox on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

SandMasterLightbox on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Mine are a bit uneven as well, I was only able to use one of my speed lights and had to keep one on camera in order to trigger the second one (I ordered a wireless trigger receiver/transmitter so I can fire both off camera but it did not get here yet)

I used one on the left of the box and shot the one on camera straight up and bounced it off the ceiling (seemed to help a bit)

On the car shot I pointed the flash I had on the camera straight into the box at 1/64th power and put a tissue over it to diffuse it a bit. Seemed to actually work ok.

Thanks Derrel for the advice. I kept two of the flaps on the front of the box. If I pasted some more white posterboard to these flaps, and set them pointed more into the box would this create a decent amount of front light? And it was the same light set up in all three. I did try aiming the flash at different points on the box though lol.

And your box pictures look pretty good Dark. I'm going to have to assemble to box again tomorrow and see what happens.

With product shots, I personally prefer constant lighting. I find it easier to get set up and consistent, I mean what you see is what you get with it.
If you want to do constant lighting on a budget, just pick up some cheap dishes at a place like Lowes or Home Depot (the kind with the clamps), and some daylight Compact Fluorescent bulbs to go in them. Put a couple around the box (top, both sides, maybe back), and shoot away.

Most reactions

Back