My Tyler... Can anyone fix the highlights?

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by CPortraiture, Apr 17, 2008.

1. CPortraiture

CPortraiture TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Tell me what you think of this one. I love the colors, but can't seem to get the highlights right... anyone want to give it a try?

[​IMG]

2. milavidal

milavidal TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    What do you think??

hes adorable

p.s. Adjusted levels, saturated flower+shirt+eyes, dodged the bench and background, added a little blur to the background. Hope this helps!

3. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I adjusted levels, shadows, and intensified the magentas and greens...

Cute kiddo!

[​IMG]

4. CPortraiture

CPortraiture TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    milavidal - Thanks for looking a giving it a go. I like his skin in this version it's much brighter and almost has a glow. I'm not too sure about the eyes though... they appear a bit orange. This is exactly what I struggled with - how to adjust one area ( selectively) without making another area bother me... He's my son, I think he's adorable too :)

5. CPortraiture

CPortraiture TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Lyncca -- He's my little Tyler - although he's really not that little anymore. We call him toothless Tyler because he's lost all of his front teeth.

I really like what you have done with the levels, magentas and greens... How can I make his eyes pop a bit more. Is it hopeless due to the combination of light and shadows on the eye's? He starts to look really over processed when I do anything to the eye's...

Thanks for looking!

CP

6. jilleenphoto

jilleenphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is a way, if you're using photoshop, to select a single area and edit only that. By using the Marquee tool, you can either box in or use the elliptical to edit a round area. Once you use the marquee to highlight the area you'd like to edit, you can change the exposure level to that area, the highlights, the colors..etc...

This process, however, does take time and can be incredibly irritating depending on what you are trying to do.

I agree, great picture. The only thing that bugs me is the eye that's lighter than the other. I tried myself to edit it, but it just keeps coming out looking really odd. I haven't worked with photoshop enough to handle editing really detailed areas.

7. CPortraiture

CPortraiture TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the tips Jilleen. I too have tried these methods, and yes, it can be very irritating...lol! I haven't worked on fine detail edits like this either... at least not eye's that are this problematic. I guess we'll wait and see if someone posts the Aha! photoshop fix.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CP

8. milavidal

milavidal TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What exactly did you want his eyes to look like? Just lighter without looking too orangy? I can work something out, Im just not too sure of what you are looking for :p

9. CPortraiture

CPortraiture TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know... I think what is not working is the fact that there is direct sunlight on the eye, but no catch light to break it up. It may be a lost cause... thanks for your efforts!

10. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what a great shot

this is my attempt:

[​IMG]

I mostly use PSP. I like the easy to use Photo Fix tool. Here are the adjustments I made to your image:
    [​IMG]

11. CPortraiture

CPortraiture TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This looks great! The eye's are so much better... thanks for the detailed post -- I'm going to try this on the original.

CP