My very first lens

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Nick-o, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Nick-o

Nick-o TPF Noob!

Hi,

I've recently bought a second hand EOS 30 off ebay as my first SLR. I liked the idea of taking up photography and found my little digital camera wasnt up to much.

The EOS 30 came with no lens and i needed to buy one - as i searched breifly i found one which was ending in several minutes and was at a decent price. But, in hindsight i'm not sure whether it was a good choice - although it can be relisted on ebay I was wondering what a more professional opinion was. My idea was to get an all rounder for a good price, although i have been recommended a 50mm.

The lens which i purchased on ebay was a CANON EF 35-70mm 1:3.5-4.5.

What do you think? and..

How much would you have paid for one is fantastic condition?

Thanks in advance.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I might be wrong, but I think that lens is an older kit lens. Meaning that it's the cheap lens they usually include with the camera when you buy it new. Not to say that it's a bad lens, just on the lower end of the quality scale.

Most standard zoom lenses now start at 28mm rather than 35mm. The lens in question won't give you a very wide view...not so good for landscape type stuff.

What's your budget? That will help with lens recommendations.

You should be able to find a newer kit lens on E-bay for a pretty good price. Probably less than $100. Something like a 28-90 F4-5.6. Again, this one is one the low end of the scale.

There are much better zoom lenses, and some good ones made by Sigma or Tamron that will fit your camera. I will second the recommendation for the 50mm F1.8 it's a great lens. It's cheap and will perform better than any zoom lens that costs less than $700. You would just have to zoom with your feet :D