My very first photo with new DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Nein-reis, May 18, 2007.

1. Nein-reis

Nein-reis TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is the very first photo taken with my new Canon 350D, just got it today... I know its not a good photo, but tell me what I can do to get better please. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

2. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    for starters, you could include whatever put her up in the air... (trampolene?) but i still like it without that

3. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It looks like she fell from the sky..... airplane dropper her or something. Good setting and such I presume with the frozen motion. I advise to saty off of auto mode, even if you are a beginner, set the camera to P if you nee dflash, push the flash button.

4. Nein-reis

Nein-reis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks... I took that with the AV setting. The auto setting just seems to be annoying so far. Alot of my photos are turning out "soft" not blurry really, just not that "sharp" look I would like to have from a DSLR. I'm sure it's me... but I just cant get that look, even on a tripod. =/

Any suggestions? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

5. lkWinnipesaukee

lkWinnipesaukee TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Might be the lens. Stop it down one or two stops (f/4, 5.6, or 8).

6. Nein-reis

Nein-reis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Might be a dumb question... but how do I do that?

7. Congrats on the new camera.

Please post this kind of thread in the Gallery forum, or in the Critique Forum.

8. bjrouse

bjrouse TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You should learn to shoot in manual mode.
    Most lenses will be at their sharpest from around f8 to something like f16.
    Maybe your lens is soft at when the aperture is wide open (f2.8, f3.2 etc)
    If you stopped the lens down you would be changing the aperture to a "higher number, smaller aperture"
    I have a 350D as well. When you shoot in manual mode, you have complete control over the photo that you will get. Your the photographer, not the camera, so it shouldn't be telling you what you will get.
    So set what ever you are trying to achieve first. If its low light set the aperture first. If you are trying to stop motion, then obviously set the shutter speed first. Once you have set this then change the other so that you will have a combination that will give you the correct exposure. You can tell this by the little +2 & -2 dial in the viewfinder. Just keep changing the second setting till the bar is dead in the middle of these two, under the little triangle. This thing is your meter. It basically tells you how much light is reflected off your subject. When the bar is too much towards the +2 the image will be overexposed, too much towards the -2 the image will be underexposed
    This sort of it in a nutshell.

Hope it helps

Brendan

9. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I agree it helps to learn to shoot in manual mode - or more to the point, I think it helps to know the basics of exposure to the extent of being happy shooting in manual mode. But I don't think it's necessary. I enjoy shooting with old manual-focus SLRs, TLRs and rangefinders some of which have light meters and some which don't - but at the same time when I use a camera that includes auto-exposure and auto-focus modes, I use those features. The technology in cameras is simultaneously very clever and very dumb; the camera's auto modes can make shooting easier and often determine correct exposure very accurately. But having the bar centred doesn't mean the exposure is correct; it means the camera's metering system thinks the exposure is correct. The trick is to know when it's going to get it wrong and why. That's why there's an exposure compensation feature. In other words yes, be comfortable shooting in manual mode, but don't feel that using automated features makes you any less a photographer.

10. bjrouse

bjrouse TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes I totally agree.
    For instance shooting snow etc
    General shooting though, the meter will put you pretty close most of the time.
    I think also shooting in manual modes helps you understand the exposures better, helps you understand shutters and apertures and what they can do to an image.
    Also don't be dissapointed when you get a bad image as these are often the best learning device.

11. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sorry but I have to ask..........why does the girl look like she is in pain?

12. Nein-reis

Nein-reis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have no idea... I don't know who she is...