My very first portait set...

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Efergoh, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Efergoh

Efergoh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First try at formal portraits...submitted for your review. Rip 'em up if you need to. Feel free to edit. these were shot on a Mamiya RZ67 6x7 camera with ilford HP5 120 film. Lighting provided by two 500watt incandecent bulbs...the model was seeing spots when she went home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 this one was just for fun...what can I say...chicks dig the uniform, and she was chomping at the bit to put it on (it was hanging up in the living room)
    [​IMG]

2. Azuth

Azuth TPF Noob!

1 & 3 are my fav's, not sure 3 needs all the empty space, may work better with out. Nice shots.

3. Moose

Moose TPF Noob!

Hi Efergoh,

I know the feeling and pain you feel doing your first shoot, I recently did my second one.

Just a few tips

#2 - Light seems to be coming from the left of image. A small reflector (White card, paper, or actual reflector) would help to improve the light on her face and help to reduce that harsh darkness on the right of picture.

#3 - Good lighting, but still not enough light on the right of picture. Also, IMHO to much space above the head. It distracts me from the model.

#4 - I like the lighting in this one, its much better. One little tip I learnt... Watch for the marks that a Bra will leave in your model. If possible, get them to remove it a bit of time before the shoot (get them to wear a robe or something) to allow the skin to recover and loose those lines.

#5 - Watch for harsh shadows projected on to walls. Another fill in flash would help to reduce this. Her face seems to be blown out a bit as well. I am not sure if this was in the processing or not.

Hope this helps a bit. At the top of this thread is a post on Tips for Portraiture. There is a list someone posted of about 20 tips. Take a read of that, I found it helped a bit.

Cheers
    Moose

4. Efergoh

Efergoh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Regarding #3...

I showed this thread to the model, and we talked about #3 before it was even printed, and we dcided that we liked the neg, and after it was printed, she fell in love with it. I made the crop posted below, and she balked at it. She said it ws nice, but the vertical (#3) was what she liked.

Oh well, I guess sometimes the client wins...but I win too because I still prefer the original over this crop. But here it is for your consideration and comments. I like this crop, it is just that I like the negative space on the other one...go ahead and call me freak.

[​IMG]

5. EBphotography

EBphotography TPF Junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    I also like the space.

6. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    well I like number 3 with this space up there. I like this kind of creative photography.
    I don't like photo 2 because her eyes are lost in a shadow. it is always good to catch a bit of reflected light in somebodies eyes.

7. Efergoh

Efergoh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, Mentos. I was really in love with #2, but now that you point out the light issue, I see your point...I guess I get the shoot her again...goody for me, because I really enjoyed working with her.

8. CHRISTIAN2170

CHRISTIAN2170 TPF Noob!

the 1st one is my absolute favorite, it has a very special lighting