My very first studio try

rlcphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
using Smith Victor hot lights, and a baby doll, yup as of rite now no real dummies as yet. Just trying to see what I can do .....all critigues are welkome.

these were done if I remeber rite 50mm 1.8

IMG_0226-1.jpg

IMG_0230-1.jpg

IMG_0236-1.jpg

IMG_0237-1.jpg

the lighting is good

but the photo subject ism awful

the fact the head is a differant colour i really dont like

but they would be fantastic with the right subject

Number two looks the closest. Looks like you used one as a main camera left and one as a hair/kicker light camera left.

Would recommend raising the main a bit (catchlights should be higher 10/11 or 1/2 o'clock).

Turn "her" back towards the main some (opposite of what you have now) and bring the face back around towards it as well. (the pose you have now is for typically for "boys")

One of the most annoying things in a portrait scenario is to see eyes sharp and noses blurred. Or on eye sharp and the other... blurred. Just becuase the lens can do F/1.8, you will near NEVER see a portrait photographer use an extremely shallow DOF. You always want the entire face tack sharp.

Now if you want bokeh... push the subject 7-8 feet away from the backdrop and stand much closer to them with a shorter lens, and use something like F/5.6 to F/8... the background will be lightly blurred. You also need to watch for where you focus... the eyes. 2 of the 4 pics are soft.

Don't be afraid to leave the EXIF data in your pics in the future when asking for critiques. ;)

I had to laugh when I opened this post. It reminded me of last month when I did my first photo shoot........with a stuffed pig. I too liked the lighting in #2 the best.

well thanx to all of you. What you have just said has really helped me. I know its just a doll, but this is my first try. The wife will be next later in the week. This is something I have wanted to try for some time now. I have taken a 10 x 12 piece off my dad's old workshop and converted it into a studio, well I hope any way, lol.

So thanx for the replys

I think it's great that you decided to make an area for your home and turn it into a studio. I've done the same in my basement. I really like having it, even though its not used near as much as I would want. :)

I had to laugh when I opened this post. It reminded me of last month when I did my first photo shoot........with a stuffed pig. I too liked the lighting in #2 the best.

Pigs, dolls all work. I am currently looking for a full size mannequin that I can dress up and use as a fulltime model. They are a LOT hader to find (for a reasonable price, that is), than one would suspect.

well thanx to all of you. What you have just said has really helped me. I know its just a doll, but this is my first try. The wife will be next later in the week. This is something I have wanted to try for some time now. I have taken a 10 x 12 piece off my dad's old workshop and converted it into a studio, well I hope any way, lol.

So thanx for the replys
it doesn't matter that it is a doll. whatever helps you learn lighting techniques.
good luck. keep shooting and keep posting :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back