My wedding kit (that I'm gonna buy)

gl600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,
A friend asked me to join his new photography business as a wedding photographer. (Awesome! :) )
This is the kit that I am thinking of buying. Just wanted to put it out there to see if I'm missing something or if anyone has any other suggestions or general remarks.
Please let me know what you think.

Sandisk 8GB EXTREME III SDHC SD Card Class 6 (SDSDX3-8192) - SanDisk
$29.89 x3
Sandisk SDSDX3-008G-E31 8GB Extreme III SD Card 30MB/s (RETAIL PACKAGE) - SanDisk
$62.80 x2
Nikon MB-D80 Multi-Power Battery Pack for the Nikon D80 & D90 Digital SLR Camera - Nikon
$159.00
Nikon EN-EL3e Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery for D200, D300, D700 and D80 Digital SLR Cameras, Part 25334 - Nikon
$36.89 x2
Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) - Nikon
$789.95 x2
Nikon SB-900 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - Nikon
$464.95
(I already own an SB-600)
Lenses:
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF Standard Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - SIGMA
$899.00
Tiffen 82mm UV Protection Filter - Tiffen
$48.95
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - Nikon
$1,090.50
Nikon Hood for 80-200mm Lenses - Nikon
$26.26
Tiffen 77mm UV Protection Filter - Tiffen
$31.95
(I own a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 that I'll bring along too)

With one or two extra things this comes to about $4,700

You may find 24mm to be too long on a crop body, look into the sigma 18-50.
You should probably also have a suitable backup for that lens; be it another zoom or a few primes. Plus, fast primes are always nice to have.

Your filters are on the cheap side. If you are doing something as important as a wedding and are putting an element between the sensor and the subject, then it better be the best you can buy. Look into BW or higher end Hoya filters.

Does that 80-200 have VR on it? Its a 2.8, but again, with the combination of lower ISO on your camera, you will need VR as you might be shooting at 1/40 of a sec indoors.

So 24mm is going to be your widest lens...I dont think that is wide enough for some group shots and indoor shots. Maybe look into a 17-55 f/2.8?

What about a macro lens for the details such as place settings, rings and so on? Those are usually important shots to get for the bride and groom.

Any portable flash transmitters and reflector for the posed shots? If not, how did you plan to get those two flashes off camera?

Are you using your D60 as a backup camera? Keep in mind which camera you are using when as the D60s ISO is nothing compared to the D90.

Dont forget a solid contract, carrying cases, locks, backup for the pictures (laptop or portable HD), insurance...

I'm completely new at this game so pay as much or as little attention as you deem necessary, but if you're gonna throw down that much cash then why not spend and extra few hundred and get a D300?

I'm completely new at this game so pay as much or as little attention as you deem necessary, but if you're gonna throw down that much cash then why not spend and extra few hundred and get a D300?

I totally agree, great comment

+1

Personally, I would not throw that much cash at it when you are talking about a brand new business. Are you sure your friend knows what he is doing and will be able to throw enough work your way to even consider this purchase?

+1

Personally, I would not throw that much cash at it when you are talking about a brand new business. Are you sure your friend knows what he is doing and will be able to throw enough work your way to even consider this purchase?

The reason I would not get a D300 is because, according to my understanding, the main difference between the D90 and the D300 is the build quality. They apparently have the same low light shooting capabilities. But then again, let me just ask, why specifically would you bring a D300 to a wedding rather than a D90?
I have spoken extensively about what his game plan is and it's apparent that he knows what he's doing and taking lots of advice from pro's and from online resources. But even if it does not work out, I would want to try and break into the market anyways... maybe start as a secondary photographer for someone?...

Your filters are on the cheap side. If you are doing something as important as a wedding and are putting an element between the sensor and the subject, then it better be the best you can buy. Look into BW or higher end Hoya filters.

Does that 80-200 have VR on it? Its a 2.8, but again, with the combination of lower ISO on your camera, you will need VR as you might be shooting at 1/40 of a sec indoors.

So 24mm is going to be your widest lens...I dont think that is wide enough for some group shots and indoor shots. Maybe look into a 17-55 f/2.8?

What about a macro lens for the details such as place settings, rings and so on? Those are usually important shots to get for the bride and groom.

Any portable flash transmitters and reflector for the posed shots? If not, how did you plan to get those two flashes off camera?

Are you using your D60 as a backup camera? Keep in mind which camera you are using when as the D60s ISO is nothing compared to the D90.

Dont forget a solid contract, carrying cases, locks, backup for the pictures (laptop or portable HD), insurance...

The reason I was thinking of going with the tiffen is because were they to break they glass pieces would stick together and not shatter, reducing the chance of the lens getting scratched. I hear the point though... maybe I should just opt for the better quality.

It does not have VR, the only VR lens of this focal length is close to double the price. (Anyways my thought process was as follows: the VR is only gonna help me from camera shake, but if I am shooting a moving subject, it won't seem to make much of a difference since the VR will not slow them down (so to speak).

I just ordered th Sigma 18-50 2.8 Maybe I'll just use that. (Will I need to cover the 50-80 gap???)

I also have a macro lens. Sigma 105 2.8 (thanks for the point!)

I use Cactus v4's. They have been very reliable for me.

I do not intend to use the D60. I will have 2 D90's. (I was thinking of getting the D60 modded for IR photography and then use it at wedding events just to grap a few extraordinary shots.)

Thanks fo all the help!

+1

The reason I would not get a D300 is because, according to my understanding, the main difference between the D90 and the D300 is the build quality. They apparently have the same low light shooting capabilities. But then again, let me just ask, why specifically would you bring a D300 to a wedding rather than a D90?
I have spoken extensively about what his game plan is and it's apparent that he knows what he's doing and taking lots of advice from pro's and from online resources. But even if it does not work out, I would want to try and break into the market anyways... maybe start as a secondary photographer for someone?...
The D300 has a better AF system(51 points) lightning fast, longer rated shutter, if it is the D300s it has dual card slots which is really nice copy Jpeg to one and Raw to the other or one just as an overflow or w.e. you want. Also if you start banging into things or something gets spilled on it or it gets wet i.e. beach wedding or outdoors and it's raining the D300 would be a better option imo. Also you are definitely going to want wider than 24 is you are on a DX camera. Of course the D700 would be nice but much more expensive. GL
TJ

Any suggestions for a carrying case and locks? Do they have cases that are lockable?
And why the laptop/ portable HD? can't I just wait for the drive home and do it when I get to my house?

The best UV 'protection' filter is the one you left at the store.

The thin glass shards from a broken UV filter can gouge the lens objective glass it was supposed to 'protect'. Additionally, lens objectives frequently get severely scratched when a broken UV filter is unscrewed from the lens.

A UV filter can only improve a digital image above 10,000 feet in altitude or if some material in the image is caused to flouresce by flourescent a light source.

However, a UV filter can degrade a digital image by reducing contrast and promoting lens flare because the introduction of an additional air gap causes internal reflections.

Good camera handeling technique, keeping a lens cap on when a lens is not in use, and using the lens hood when the lens is in use, offers impact protection and enhances image contrast.

And of coarse, insurance for your gear. Find out if your gear is covered by the business if you own it, or if the business must own it.

For cases, I use a Pelican 1510, Its quite secure, watertight, and strong. I have dropped it down a few steps and everything was fine. I can fit 2 Bodies(20D) a 70-200 f/4, a 17-50 2.8, 11-16 2.8, a 30mm, 50mm, and two speedlights, and some odds and ends.
It would fit all of your stuff pretty nicely and have a little room to grow. If you acquire more gear later I would just get a second case or bag, because larger sizes start to be impractical.

Don't see why you would worry about your glass during a wedding... expecting a family brawl?

I use filters all the time.. (not going to start a debate here) but its because I don't use caps and I don't baby my lenses. I do remove it when I can see the potential for problems. In your case, I can't imagine a wedding or reception really being an environment that would threaten your glass. Leave them.. (and the caps)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back