My Weekly Themed Sketch and Other Art Works

snowbear

Fuzzy, wuzzy Nanuq
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have become active on The Fountain Pen Network over the past 8 months or so. One of the threads I participate in is a weekly sketch challenge where a theme is posted. These are (for me., at least) generally very quick sketches - five to ten minutes. Here is one mine from week #3 - "A condiment." Of course, I had some help. ;)

fpn-weekly-sketch-4_22595926114_o by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice work. Love the confident loose line, and color wash. You can tell you really love the feel of that pen and enjoy working it.

Thank you. I actually used a couple of fountain pens, a Speedball dip pen and a watercolor brush. Sometimes I'll block in with pencil first, other times I'll just lay down the ink.

I have become active on The Fountain Pen Network over the past 8 months or so. One of the threads I participate in is a weekly sketch challenge where a theme is posted. These are (for me., at least) generally very quick sketches - five to ten minutes. Here is one mine from week #3 - "A condiment." Of course, I had some help. ;)

Reminds me a great deal of a James Thurber sketch. That's a compliment btw. ;)

Thank you. I'll post another in a while.

Stepping back, a bit. This was one of the "step-by-step" shots I made for the "Favorite Pen" sketch. I chose my new (at the time) Sheaffer 300 "Ferarri" pen and a bottle of Iroshizuku "Momiji" ("Autumn Leaves") ink.

At this point, I had inked in the sketch and was erasing the pencil lines. The are here - pencil. pens, erasers, and three of the inks. My helper has left, but you can see a part of her in the sketch, right above the pen.

fpn-weekly-sketch-5_23204475719_o by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr
20151206_181703.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
You've done a number of sketches.

Sketches, paintings; charcoal, graphite, oil, acrylic, watercolour. More than I've posted here or anywhere.

Sketches, paintings; charcoal, graphite, oil, acrylic, watercolour. More than I've posted here or anywhere.
We have more in common than we have as differences, friend.
Do you do any digital media art? 3D renderings animations or scenes? Any abstract digital art?

Yes*, no, yes (abstract photography)

* - If you consider cartography to be, at least partially, an art.

I started with digital and expanded into traditional media, and my wife started in traditional media and expanded into digital.
She is an Art Instructor and I am a Graphic Artist as a vocation, and we are both into anything creative as an avocation.
And video games. I design characters and models and levels for games, she is working on a game of her own design and we both play them.

Most reactions

Back