My Weekly Themed Sketch and Other Art Works

You drew the official Flag of July 2, 1960? LOL
:allteeth:

Did that once on a large relief carving of an eagle holding a furling flag. I was so :angry: . I distressed the carving to make it look older, told everyone it was chronologically correct for the time period. :biggrin:

Charlie!! You're so talented! I just went through the whole thread and I'm very impressed. I'm playing with oil pastels these days, since my darkroom's in pieces and I'm trying to get some tactile creative fix. I could never just draw something in ink - INK! - off the cuff like you do. I sketch everything I do out in pencil (with a fat eraser nearby) before I pick up an op.

:Hail.sml: Huzzah!

Just wonderful

Charlie!! You're so talented! I just went through the whole thread and I'm very impressed. I'm playing with oil pastels these days, since my darkroom's in pieces and I'm trying to get some tactile creative fix. I could never just draw something in ink - INK! - off the cuff like you do. I sketch everything I do out in pencil (with a fat eraser nearby) before I pick up an op.

:Hail.sml: Huzzah!

Some of these (the better ones) are roughed in with pencil first, then I go in with ink. I can really do much better if I slow down, but the ink sketches are usually 5 to 10 minutes each, a bit longer if I use washes. It's been a couple of years since I played with pastels. On my Flickr page is a shot of an oil painting of firefighters in action that I did for class, 40 years ago.

I picked up an unofficial minor (18 credits) in Studio Art at Maryland. It's unofficial because UMD doesn't give minors in Art. That's two things Jim Henson and I have in common: birthdays and UMD Art classes.

Just wonderful
Thank you.

Last edited:
OK, something a little different.

I have a polar bear tattoo on my arm which was based on a rubber stamp I made.

I made a drawing, glued it to pink rubber stamp stock (like the pink rubber erasers, only flat), then epoxied that to a piece of maple. I carved out the stuff I didn't want to print with an X-Acto knife and gouge.

I want one on my tookus

Maybe red lipstick? Mistletoe?

I guess it's time to continue on. This one is dedicated to Mom-in-Law, whom succumbed to cancer a couple weeks ago. Love you, Mary - you were our sunshine.

Simple enough - the yellow is yellow acrylic ink a la paintbrush and the outline is black acrylic ink (Speedball #B6 nib). Penciled in first.

IMG_0106.jpg
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

I like the Pacific Northwest native style artwork and design.

I started an online course on print making but never got beyond the video (yet) but you download it so I can get to it sometime. I remember doing that in art classes somewhere along the way, carving a design out of that linoleum for artwork (not the flooring!) to do block prints.

I like the Pacific Northwest native style artwork and design.

I started an online course on print making but never got beyond the video (yet) but you download it so I can get to it sometime. I remember doing that in art classes somewhere along the way, carving a design out of that linoleum for artwork (not the flooring!) to do block prints.
I've Done, it's fun.

Most reactions

Back