My XTi died on me....

rdompor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday, I took my cousin phototripping around NYC and in the middle of the day, my battery died. I hadn't brought an extra one, so I just filmed the rest of the day while he continued to shoot. We eventually made our way to a restaurant where I asked the waiter to charge my battery for about 40 min. or so while we ate. After I got the battery back, the camera still wouldn't turn on. I thought this was weird since the battery should have some juice in it even if it was only charged for 40 minutes. So we took it to a camera shop and had them try 3 different batteries in my camera. None of them turned on the camera.

When I got home, I charged the battery over night and now when I try to turn it on the little green LED next to the On/Off switch turns on but nothing else happens. I thought that maybe I have to clean off the battery contacts inside the camera? What else could be wrong with my XTi? Should I just bring it in to a shop?

Thanks for any help guys...

I would contact canon directly. Maybe it needs a reset if that is possible on the XTI. I would try taking out and leaving out for a while the silver battery that hold date / time and settings. Either way that sucks it happened.

Yikes, that camera shouldn't be breaking with it being so new! I would also get ahold of Canon and send it in for repairs under warranty.

It's weird that just the green light turns on. Are you positive that you don't just have the display turned off (unlikely chance, but still throwing it out there)?

I, like the two previous posters, would contact Canon, especially if the warranty is still good.

And if it's not still good, sounds like a good excuse to upgrade...

I had something similar happen with my Rebel XT when I first got it (within 2 weeks). The camera store exchanged it for a new one with no questions asked.

*resists making cracks about buying a Nikon instead* :lmao: j/k

That sucks dude. I know I would go into a panic if my camera crapped out on me, but at least it's new so you should get it fixed real quick.

Good luck with it.

I just brought it in the to the Canon repair building in Jamesburg, NJ. That place is pretty convenient. I told them that I got the camera in November and they're going to push it through as a warranty which is pretty cool. I didn't purchase the camera. I won it in a sort of lottery/raffle thing when I completed a survey for Canon in my Fall Orientation at Rutgers. Anyway, I should have it back like new within a week.

Before I brought it in, I did think about just getting a new camera because after I won my XTi I've really gotten into photography. But if I can get this won fixed, I really don't see a reason to upgrade. The XTi works great.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Nikon cracks aside, yours is the 5th or 6th XTi that I have heard that does the same exact thing.

Makes me wonder that there is a flaw in them that they are letting slip out without addressing.

Don't bother with it... send it back for a replacement.

But next time you may consider Nikon... lol (just kidding!)

Nikon cracks aside, yours is the 5th or 6th XTi that I have heard that does the same exact thing.

Makes me wonder that there is a flaw in them that they are letting slip out without addressing.

Don't bother with it... send it back for a replacement.

But next time you may consider Nikon... lol (just kidding!)
You may be kidding... or maybe not, but that is the main reason I was always sour on Canons. It started with the AE-1 and A1, letting whole batches of lemons slip through.

I was kidding about the Nikon remarks... but I was serious about knowing about 5-6 other XTi's that died at very low shutter counts and less than 8 months old.

Well, Canon was good about it and honored the warranty. Everything is back to normal, but I still don't know what happened....

Well, Canon was good about it and honored the warranty. Everything is back to normal, but I still don't know what happened....

Cool. I'm no Canon guy (I'm not really an anything guy), but the difference between a good company and a great company is customer service. Every company that makes something as complicated as a digital camera is going to have some inferior products fall through the cracks. But their ability to address the issue, and to resolve it quickly without hassle tells me they are someone I'd like to do business with. You can tell them whenever you go pro, you'll buy an 1D Mark IIIs with 10 different L lenses because of your positive experience. :)

I couldn't have stood not knowing what went wrong. I'd be calling people up to find out, even though it doesn't matter (I'm just an amateur engineer that likes to know how stuff works).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back