Mysterious Shoot

[Dillz]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dylanwhite.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok I don't know what this style is....like the world of shadows or something haha

so I got out a small soft box and this is how it came out! :)
timmy1.jpg

Very nice. I like that shot a lot. He definitely looks like one bad dude.

i like split lighting, but maybe not as extreme as this. i like to still see some detail. also not a fan of the select color on the eye (but its so small i can't even tell for sure, maybe i'm just crazy)

keep working at it! the focus or upload to web or something made it a little soft.

i like split lighting, but maybe not as extreme as this. i like to still see some detail. also not a fan of the select color on the eye (but its so small i can't even tell for sure, maybe i'm just crazy)

keep working at it! the focus or upload to web or something made it a little soft.
newrmdmike, This client wanted it MORE EXTREME haha so I did what he told me ya know? I am having trouble focusing with my 50mm lens.(I used on this) Any tips?

ummm, i see you shot it at f/1.8, maybe stop it down to 2, or even 2.8. also, is it a soft image straight off the camera? because i know i've had sharp images go soft between the resize and uploading, so to compensate i oversharpen before the resize sometimes, and then sharpen again to perfection + a little and then upload.

lots of people recommend a large contrast area sharpen (not sure of the terminology here, but a larger pixel unsharp mask or smart sharpen) + a second pixel to pixel sharpening, or a smart sharpen with smaller pixel setting. I'm sure someone else can describe it better and more accurately, thats just what works for me.

"the world of shadows" might be described best as Chiaroscuro

For a more-modern example (1920's to 1990's) artist, you might visit this web page George Hurrell Biography

and look at how this technique is done by a master.

I really like the way you played with the light like this! I thought if you kept the light like this but shadow some of his face, it could look really mysterious and rebellious! Good luck, have fun taking pictures!

You seem to be getting some light contamination on the dark side of his face(high on the forhead) I think shooting this at F8 and upping the power on the softbox would give a much sharper result and give more option for light control.

Thansk for the pointers guys :) When I do this next I will keep what you said in mind. Derrel, yes George Hurrell is one of the best! I have always been a fan. :D

ummm, i see you shot it at f/1.8, maybe stop it down to 2, or even 2.8. also, is it a soft image straight off the camera? because i know i've had sharp images go soft between the resize and uploading, so to compensate i oversharpen before the resize sometimes, and then sharpen again to perfection + a little and then upload.

lots of people recommend a large contrast area sharpen (not sure of the terminology here, but a larger pixel unsharp mask or smart sharpen) + a second pixel to pixel sharpening, or a smart sharpen with smaller pixel setting. I'm sure someone else can describe it better and more accurately, thats just what works for me.

Excellent advice! Sharpening should be a normal part of your processing routine. It is always my last step before I release anything to my clients.

What I do is crop for a 5x7 inch print, then do a "Sharpen for Print" routine, which includes these steps:
1) Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen Edges
2) Edit > Fade Sharpen Edges at 63% opacity
3) Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask at Amount 9%, Radius 1.3 px, and Threshold 4
4) Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask at Amount 25%, Radius 1.7 px, and Threshold 0

Then resize to a web image of 800 or 700 pixels at the long end, and sharpen again (micro sharpen this time) with Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask at Amount 125%, Radius 0.3 px, and Threshold 0

Its probably a good idea to save the Sharpen for Print routine as a PS action.

Hope this helps. :)

Most reactions

Back