"Mystery Scribe" eat your heart out !!!

Philip Weir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
Website
www.philipweirphotography.com
Not just for "Mystery Scribe" but as he's building his own camera, a man ahead of his time [or 100 years behind] Thought I'd show you an old camera I'm currently restoring to its former glory. It's over 100 years old, and I personally used it about 20 years ago, and it still works well. If you'd like any further information on it, don't hesitate to comment. I will take some shots with it in the next few weeks [hopefully].:mrgreen:

Bosscamera.jpg

www.philipweirphotography.com

Nice! Is it an 8x10? Do you use a horse as a tripod? Love it! :drool:

Just for comparison, the neg holds over 53 times the data that a 35mm does. For those that think digitally, if it had the same sensor density of a 5D, it would be a 678MP camera and make images 29,120px x 23,296px. :stun:

Oh, and another cool comparison: Blowing a 35mm up to 8x10 is like blowing an 8x10 to 64x80. That's over 5' x 6.5' and still being able to scrutinize the print with your nose right up to it.

I f'n love it. I wish i had the knowledge to use something like that., I to would like to know the size it shoots.

I was shooting pics at a flea market once to drum up some winter business and someone tried to sell me a huge, I mean huge camera that had been in the news paper office's starage for about a hundred years. I was too stupid to buy it.

I love it and yes i wish i had it.

Even more important why didnt you answer my guestion.. Does tilt or swing effect the exposure of the negative.

I failed to mention that mine is (stating in embarrased fashion)_ 2x3

markc said:
Nice! Is it an 8x10? Do you use a horse as a tripod? Love it! :drool:

Just for comparison, the neg holds over 53 times the data that a 35mm does. For those that think digitally, if it had the same sensor density of a 5D, it would be a 678MP camera and make images 29,120px x 23,296px. :stun:

It would actually take a 10x8 back, but I only have a 5x4 and a 5x7 back.
Thanks for your data information. It would be one hell of a sensor.:mrgreen:

mysteryscribe said:
I f'n love it. I wish i had the knowledge to use something like that., I to would like to know the size it shoots.

I was shooting pics at a flea market once to drum up some winter business and someone tried to sell me a huge, I mean huge camera that had been in the news paper office's starage for about a hundred years. I was too stupid to buy it.

I love it and yes i wish i had it.

Even more important why didnt you answer my guestion.. Does tilt or swing effect the exposure of the negative.

I failed to mention that mine is (stating in embarrased fashion)_ 2x3

Mystery Scribe, you do have the knowledge to use one, you just point the glass bit away from you and shove a film in and your rolling.
To answer your question re exposure using tilt and swing. I thought i did, but if not. NO, it won't affect your exposure.

I read this one before the other one... You did answer and thanks... It was my guess but I wasn't sure. I do love that camera and yeah I figuring out mine as I go.

Kind of cool to be able to shoot without having to worry about the camera placement too much. Im tempted to build one for roll film now.

Philip Weir said:
It would actually take a 10x8 back, but I only have a 5x4 and a 5x7 back.
Thanks for your data information. It would be one hell of a sensor.:mrgreen:
Well, now you'll have to get one. ;) A camera that size would take one, wouldn't it? At this point you might have to make it yourself, though.

Okay philip here is an idea for you. Mount a scanner to the rear of the camera. Focus your image on the glass top and then scan it direct from the camera. the worlds larges digital camera instantly.

I have a canon lide 25 that is actually light enough and small enough to use for that. Now wouldn't that be a kick

A beautiful camera indeed, Philip! :thumbup:

I am looking forward to seeing some shots taken with it. :D

Most reactions

Back