tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Something a bit fishy about this.

The picture below is of it frozen to the side of a north atlantic caught salmon.

It is pretty small about 37mm i would guess as it is not streight. I am defrosting it slowly now in a bowl of cold salty water. It looks like it has small black beedy eyes. I guess it is the larval form of something, but what?, What was it doing attached like this to the salmon? What is it likley to grow into?

mystery1.jpg

I'll post another picture once it has thawed.

tim

I don't know what this is...but I do know that there is a parasite problem with Salmon here in North America.

Here it is thawed, sorry a very bad picture, any idea how to light it for a better shot? It is under water, it just turns in to a blob when i take it out of the water so has to be shot through a couple of mm of water. So far i havn't got anything usefull, that and it floats a bit that doesnt help either.

mystery2.jpg

Is it alive, even though it was frozen for a while :shock:

No Corinna fortunatly it is well and truely dead. I think it floats because of some kind of boyancy thing in the middle section or because i got the salt concentration wrong? If it hasnt turned into a nasty smelly thing tomorrow i will try and get a proper picture, it facinates me as i have never seen anything like it before, it has the wrong number of segments and as far as i can see only one eye to be anything i have come across before (not done marine stuff much though.

tim

Its ugly and creepy looking, whatever it is!!! Very strange!

that's interesting. I googled it a bit and it seems to be a female sea lice. They are very common in salmon.
There's a picture of them here.

pascal

A sea louse! Ugh.
And they are COMMON in salmon!?!? :shock:

No more salmon here. Ugh!
Finished!

:wink:

Brilliant Pascale, well done googling it from that amount of information, nasty things by the sounds of it, you have kind of put me off my dinner :er: . Hmnn nahh you are right corinna dinners out of the question now :).

tim

Tim, LaFoto; ehm...I didn't mean to say that every salmon has these little creatures inside..:lol:. But as far as parasites in salmon goes...these are common. Oh what do I know, I just looked at a few internet pages, briefly. Just eat the fish!:lol:

pascal

Most reactions

Back