Mystery solved

rhoover165

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I asked for help in a new thread posted in the welcome section on 1/11/2006 titled "New to forum to ask for help". This was in connection with a photo I was trying to date because I am working on my genealogy. The photo is pictured on that thread. One of the people suggested that I post the solution on the General forum when I have it so here it is. THANK YOU TO BIG MIKE, ROB AND OTHERS FOR BEING SO KIND AND WILLING TO HELP ME. Here is the response of my local historical society:

"The fact that Pittsburgh was spelled "Pittsburg" without an "h" told me that the picture was taken between 1890 and 1911. It was during 1890 that the U. S. Board on Geographic Names ruled that Pittsburgh had to drop it's "h". However, the people of Pittsburgh put so much pressure on the Board that they recanted their ruling in 1911 and gave us back our "h".

Armed with this information I looked through the microfilm rolls of the old
city directories during this time span. Eils Brothers, the photographers,
first showed up in 1908, but they were located at 3 Fifth Avenue and 443
Market Street. Both of these addresses were different than the one given on the back of the picture. They do show up in the 1909 city directory as
being located at 435 Smithfield Street, which is the address listed on post
card. They also show up in the 1910 and 1911 city directories. They might
have opened at that location in 1908 after the directory was compiled. Also they might have used the old stock with the word on Pittsburg (no "h") into 1911 or 1912.

So I would say that the picture was taken in 1910 give or take a couple
years.

I hope this helps you.

Respectfully yours,

Jude Wudarczyk/Lawrenceville Historical Society."

Congrats, I hope that was what you were looking for.

Most reactions

Back