n00b needs a lens!!!!!!

breemcmahon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thisisbree.livejournal.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! This is actually officially my first post. I'm not much of correspondent but I enjoy reading and checking out everyone's pictures, in hopes of improving my own photography!
Anyways, some background, my name is Bree and I recently became interested in photography last year, as a senior, when I was able to borrow a very nice camera [I didn't even know what brand it was at that time!] from the photography department at my highschool. Two months later I had my own Nikon, D60, taking home for myself. That summer I actually took some senior pictures for a friend who couldn't afford them, and did some casual paid wedding shots for an old teacher. nothing fancy.
The senior pictures turned out to be a hit, so I found myself this summer with a few kids from the local highschool interested in some cheap and unique senior shots. Needless to say, I decided that it is definitely time to upgrade, and I definitely need to learn some new things.

I am a now a poor college student and my parents are agreeing to buy me a new lens for my birthday. Right now I have the standard 18-55mm lens. I have been looking at various 55-200mm lenses but definitely need some input. Plus I'm hoping to stay with in the 100$-200$ range.
So, what would be your suggestion for a semi-cheap awesome-working lens? Thank you so much!:D

What kind of photography do you want to be doing? Are you thinking about continuing with the portraits? Or did you want to expand? Lens choice is a pretty personal thing. The main lens I use is a lens most people would say isn't very good. But for me, and the photography I do, it's nearly perfect. One of the first lens suggestions most people will have, especially on this forum is a 50mm f/1.8. It can usually be picked up for less than $100, is faster than any zoom you'll find, and has better IQ (image quality) than most lenses that are 10 times as expensive.

Other than that, post what you want to do with your photography, and you'll probably get some better suggestions.

I would have to second the 50 1.8, if you can swing it, the 50 1.4. Nikon has released a good 30 1.4 which will most importantly AF with the D60 body, unlike the 50s. The 30 will be excellent for your portrait shots.

if the kind of photography you do doesn't make you need a lens with more zoom, i would get the 35mm f/1.8. they're hard to come by right now since it's a fairly new lens, but it's the lens i use the most nowadays. i slap on the 55-200mm once in a while when i can't get close enough to the subject, but i don't use it nearly enough as the 35mm.

thank you very much for your suggestions.
yes right now i am mostly focusing on portraiture. but i like to do full body shots, wanting to tell a story. i love body language.
i'll be posting some pictures for C&C for a recent senior pictures i took for a friend who couldn't afford the absurd pricing of studios. :D

aint gonna find much in the $100-$200 range unless you go used. The only lens I know of in that range is the 50mm f/1.8

I agree with bdavis here. The d60 is a cropped frame sensor so that 50mm is equivalent to 75mm in full frame. This puts it very close to what most consider to be a good portrait focal length. I think you would be very happy with this lens, and the picture quality you can get with it, especially for the price.

yea, it bugs me in each of these threads everyone always raves about the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4. when it is really an odd prime to have on a crop sensor. i have one but i never use it since i never really have a need for that focal length. not to mention the OP in this thread would be stuck with manual focus.
a much better prime would be the AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX if you can find one. however, if you can find it, it should be right around $200

thank you so much for all the replies!
i'm still slightly confused but i think its just a matter of weighing my options.
the biggest thing though is that i NEED a versatile lens, opposed to my kit lens which i have been using for over a YEAR now. [crazy i know, but i am unfortunately a poor private college student paying for her own way] I need something I think that will expand my realm of photography but also get the job done for the portraits i will be taken this summer.

yea, it bugs me in each of these threads everyone always raves about the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4. when it is really an odd prime to have on a crop sensor. i have one but i never use it since i never really have a need for that focal length. not to mention the OP in this thread would be stuck with manual focus.
a much better prime would be the AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX if you can find one. however, if you can find it, it should be right around $200

Why is it an odd focal lenght to have on a crop?
I believe that the ideal focal lenght for a portrait is between 80-100mm. Somewhat wider for a full body shot.

35mm lens = +- 50mm on a crop
50mm lens = +- 75mm on a crop

I would think the 35mm would be too wide to be a proper portrait length.

I have a 28-75mm lens and I tend to shoot portraits around the 50-70 range and wider / full body the 28-35 range.

Someone correct me if I am wrong please

Why is it an odd focal lenght to have on a crop?
I believe that the ideal focal lenght for a portrait is between 80-100mm. Somewhat wider for a full body shot.

35mm lens = +- 50mm on a crop
50mm lens = +- 75mm on a crop

I would think the 35mm would be too wide to be a proper portrait length.

I have a 28-75mm lens and I tend to shoot portraits around the 50-70 range and wider / full body the 28-35 range.

Someone correct me if I am wrong please

I think you're correct. I thought the same thing when I read itznfb's post. 50mm is a much better portrait focal length (on a cropped frame) than the 35mm. Also, I don't own a Nikon, but doesn't their 50mm 1.8 have AF? I know my Canon does.

breemcmahon said:
thank you so much for all the replies!
i'm still slightly confused but i think its just a matter of weighing my options.
the biggest thing though is that i NEED a versatile lens, opposed to my kit lens which i have been using for over a YEAR now. [crazy i know, but i am unfortunately a poor private college student paying for her own way] I need something I think that will expand my realm of photography but also get the job done for the portraits i will be taken this summer.

There's more to versatility than focal lengths. You would be amazed at what you can do with a f/1.8 aperture. To me, that is more versatile than using a 55-200mm f/4-5.6 (which is what I'm assuming you've been looking into). In the end, it's up to you, but I think you would be very happy with the 50mm 1.8.

wow this forum is saving my life. :D

i've done some research on fnumbers and see the benefit of using it with portrait photography. thank you everyone for teaching me something new!

so i'm confused slightly,
is there absolutely no zooming with the 50mm?

[i apologize if this is a silly question, i just am trying to learn as much as i can]

I think you're correct. I thought the same thing when I read itznfb's post. 50mm is a much better portrait focal length (on a cropped frame) than the 35mm. Also, I don't own a Nikon, but doesn't their 50mm 1.8 have AF? I know my Canon does.

you may think that. but that goes against all popular belief in photography and "standards". hence the DX 35mm "normal" lens. i don't think i would ever find myself using a 50mm on a crop sensor for portraits. i'd either be at >=80mm or <=35mm (majority of the time). the DOF with the 35mm on crop sensor allows for great bokeh and separation between subject and background. as does the 85mm for headshots.

wow this forum is saving my life. :D

i've done some research on fnumbers and see the benefit of using it with portrait photography. thank you everyone for teaching me something new!

so i'm confused slightly,
is there absolutely no zooming with the 50mm?

[i apologize if this is a silly question, i just am trying to learn as much as i can]

correct. no zoom.

you may think that. but that goes against all popular belief in photography and "standards". hence the DX 35mm "normal" lens. i don't think i would ever find myself using a 50mm on a crop sensor for portraits. i'd either be at >=80mm or <=35mm (majority of the time). the DOF with the 35mm on crop sensor allows for great bokeh and separation between subject and background. as does the 85mm for headshots.

I thought this answer sounded a bit funny, but giving the benefit of the doubt, I decided that my thoughts on this were whacked and did some research. I found around 10 other discussions on whether the new 35mm 1.8 would make a good portrait lens, and you are the only person to suggest it over the 50mm 1.8. Everything I've found says that the 35mm is too short to give enough separation to make a good portrait, whereas the 50mm (becomes a short tele on a cropped frame) is nearly the perfect length for portraits.

I suppose it's really in the eye of the beholder. I'll stick with my original suggestion of the 50mm 1.8 for a portrait lens. The 35mm makes a wonderful all around lens, however. If you can swing it, I would say pick up both, but I think that's a bit out of your stated budget.

I actually wish Canon would make a 35mm 1.8. I think that would be my new main lens if they did.

i actually wasn't able to find many examples on here. just the suggestions here and there. i can't see how a 50mm lens would make a great portrait lens on film and full frame but a 35mm on DX would not considering they are basically the same focal length when adjusting for crop factor. you figure Nikon made the 35mm DX because of these reasons.

obviously there is no definitive right or wrong answer. this is one of those situations where what works best for you works best for you. in my opinion though i just see the 50mm f/1.8 being used as this catch all suggestion just because it's been around forever and it's cheap, when in real world scenarios it isn't that useful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back