Natalia & Julka, portraits - which one?

anua

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.portretowa.pl
oki, so i cant decide which one ...again.....
...they are not the same, but looks quite similar, so ive decided to post it here , theres something about them i like(im not sure what exactly it is though),but theres also many things im not sure about them.....thats why they are here, i think-:)......maybe its because i dont shoot colour portraits too often?

P1010671pcolmmm.jpg

P1010673psqmmm.jpg

- both are part of the portrait series ive posted here:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18434

comments and suggestions are more than welcome, thanks! :D

I think I like the second shot better... it's got interest with the dog looking and all.

I will try to be as helpful as I can here mate (having failed at numerous portraits myself, you may feel free to ignore me). The blonde lady is definately flattered much more by the lower angle of these shots (the ones in the portraits section are taken from a higher angle which makes her face look a little angular). She seems very much more pretty in these shots.

The second lady (short dark hair - sorry I can't manage their names) may also similarly benefit from a lower angle shot. Both are quite attractive ladies but the high angles just doesn't seem flattering to them. Something to do with face shapes but I am not smart enuf to work it out exactly.

Also, the second shot (although I like it much better) has the lady with short dark hair slightly over-exposed on the forehead. I would also apply a cooling filter in photoshop to take the yellow colour cast out from incandescent lights.

Finally, you appear to have healed a small blemish on the top shot but not the second - front lady, low on cheek.

Oh, while I'm at it, the shots where they are together in the "portraits" would have benefited from the blonde lady wearing darker lipstick. For some reason, the make-up difference is too stark.. I looked and looked and looked (until my wife bashed me) and I think it has to do with lipstick.

I hope that's helpful and not overly critical my friend.

I like the second as well. I agree about the colour cast... green isnt flattering. If your looking to have something though to keep it more artsy, try blue/cyan.
Im fine with the angles and composition... makes it unique which is not an easy task it portraiture.
One thing I would change though is to light the woman in the bkgd. That way she will be see as a deliberate addition as opposed to someone who just happened to be in the room at the time, blending into the wall.
Overall I like it and the dog is a great bonus.

Ania! - The first one!!! much better :) the dog on the first one is a bit distracting

I like the first too. I can see just a hint of the right eye lash. I like that. Perhaps more important is the line of the shoulder... it's missing in the second. And the girl in the background is more isolated in the second image, making her stand out more.

I really liked your black and white series of this girl in the portait forum!

-Pete

#1 is much better to me as well.

i like the second shot. in the first shot, the girl in the background seems like a distraction from the main subject, but in the second shot, she is part of the subject, as well as the dog. I'll go with 2.

I like the second, it tells more of a story for me. I agree with Duck that the lower angle is more flattering for both of them.

#2 for me. Dog adds to the story.

thanks for replies, guys, it's really helped me alot-:)

2Duck-:) - i agree about the angles, i think ill try to shoot this way next time....about the yellow tint...it was intended(more less), i could take it off in ps, but i just thought that the slight yellow tone could add a bit of 'domestic' feeling to it....at my monitor they are yellow just a little bit - but i have an old, not good one, so you all are prolly right about it-:)..in fact im always surprised with what i got when im taking back my prints from the lab :scratch:

the bw portraits - the contrast between Julka(blonde) and Natalia(dark hair) was also intended - maybe theres too much of it ...- i mean - i wanted them to be BW(opposite) at the BW pic....hmm...im not sure if it works with my english though-;)

..ah, ha ha, and dont worry about being critical - ha ha - thats what im looking for here...and i have really tough skin-;)

thanks again for looking,everyone-:)

ive just read your comments once again, and now i think that if i could 'mixed' first and second shot together i'd have had a winner! ha ha ha

It's a pleasure darl. Thanx for being so open.

Do a search for "monitor wedge"... it'll help you calibrate your monitor if you are having trouble.

Ana, i like the 2nd best too !!! ;) and the dog looks great :mrgreen:
I always loved profile pics, ur friend looks great and she's very photogenic as i have seen in other pics!! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back