National Geographic, magazines etc...

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering how much a job like being a photographer for National Geographic/ other magazines pays... jobs that you travel and take pictures.... any suggestions?

thanks... :)

I'd say just having a job like that would be pay enough...er, of course if they bought me everything I needed :D

Some of the magazine post on www.journalismjobs.com and other job boards. Some have their own job boards on their websites. And some take submissions from freelancers - the details on how to submit are usually on their sites or in their publications.

Obviously, the competition for the big publications is fierce! Usually they require an amazing portfolio and lots of job history either as a published freelancer or as a company shooter. The best way to start is to get on with someone small and work your way up. Freelancing for mags is a good way to pad your portfolio as well.

Hope that helped at least a little!

Thanks everyone!
I'm not looking to get a job like that right away...
I just wanted to get a feel for what I will have to do to get a job like that someday... I'm 17 so I have time to work my way up. :)

In the UK there is a wonderful publication called the Writer's and Artist's Year Book.
It is basically a list of all publishers and publications worldwide with the kinds of articles and pictures they like to publish along with their standard fees.
It also gives you good advice on how to get published.
It is not cheap to buy but your local library should have a copy.
I am afraid I do not know if their is an equivalent in the US.

Thanks LizM for that link.

Get the 2005 Photographer's Market, or the 2004 if it's not out yet. You can find it at Amazon.com. It lists all the major publications in North America, gives contact info, how much they pay, what type of things they look for and what format, ie, digital, slide film, mf etc..... It tells you who to send your portfolio to.

Great resource to have.

Digital Matt said:
Get the 2005 Photographer's Market, or the 2004 if it's not out yet.

2005 is already out. I have one in front of me. Here is the link .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back