National Guard VS USMC

As a vet I prob. shouldn't reply to this; but I am never afraid to say it with no sugar coating:

First off it's Marine CORPS, not core. Secondly, Marines are a sub-branch of the Navy (which I was a Gunny in), after I was in the Army.

National Guard is different in this aspect, of "Superman can whoop Batman" debate. If you want to talk a full combat ready, killing machine that is Army, get yourself a Airborne Ranger, Spec Ops unit, soldier. Nothing can kill him.

I don't like to go into such ridiculous debates. To me it's degrading when someone puts us down like some kind of UFC contenders, or superheros to ask who could own who.

As a military vet and someone who knows Kenpo, I am by law a lethal weapon. And so are ANY OTHER GI. We are here to fight for the country and not degraded.

You may think I took this a bit seriously, but that's the way a lot of us feel.

As a vet I prob. shouldn't reply to this; but I am never afraid to say it with no sugar coating:

First off it's Marine CORPS, not core. Secondly, Marines are a sub-branch of the Navy (which I was a Gunny in), after I was in the Army.

National Guard is different in this aspect, of "Superman can whoop Batman" debate. If you want to talk a full combat ready, killing machine that is Army, get yourself a Airborne Ranger, Spec Ops unit, soldier. Nothing can kill him.

I don't like to go into such ridiculous debates. To me it's degrading when someone puts us down like some kind of UFC contenders, or superheros to ask who could own who.

As a military vet and someone who knows Kenpo, I am by law a lethal weapon. And so are ANY OTHER GI. We are here to fight for the country and not degraded.

You may think I took this a bit seriously, but that's the way a lot of us feel.

No, I wanted my question to be taken seriously. (My uncle was a ranger in Vietnam) From what I've read here, the Marine Corps may have more honor, but, as said, they're the first to die. And do I really gotta say I don't wanna die:meh:? So far, the New Jersey National Guard seems very appealing (as long as I'm not send overseas to fight). So, thanks, I wanted my question to be taken seriously.

I do not understand the concept of one profession/institution having more honor than another ... Isn't honor, if at all, connected to a person?

I do not understand the concept of one profession/institution having more honor than another ... Isn't honor, if at all, connected to a person?

Philosophically, yes. But it is widely believe in the US that the USMC is stronger, and braver, then the National Guard.

Philosophically, yes. But it is widely believe in the US that the USMC is stronger, and braver, then the National Guard.

*sigh* :er: I just hope you choose to stay a civilian. :meh:

Uhm, having been in an Army, and knowing people who had horrible experiences, things which you do no see on TV, I am confused by this thread and the terminology used.

In the end the terms to be used are very different from what I read here.

Yah, I think it's time to put a Master lock on this thread, and loose the key.

No, I wanted my question to be taken seriously. (My uncle was a ranger in Vietnam) From what I've read here, the Marine Corps may have more honor, but, as said, they're the first to die. And do I really gotta say I don't wanna die:meh:? So far, the New Jersey National Guard seems very appealing (as long as I'm not send overseas to fight). So, thanks, I wanted my question to be taken seriously.

So basically what you are saying is....
You want to serve your country with honor, benefit from the honor and discipline that was provided and "do your part" just as long as you don't have to travel over seas, get to stay home except a one week vacation per month, and most importantly your freedom that you would be providing for yourself and others is not worth your life.

Support our troops that have the hardest, dirtiest, and most thankless job this country can offer and they don't complain and they are proud and thankful to do it.

As it was said above, stay a civilian and support them from the sidelines instead of doing this for the glory. This is not the mold our Corps is made of thank god.

and to bradster76, Thank you for your service and dedication as well as all of your sacrifices over the years. (ARMY=Ain't A Real Marine Yet) just kidding :hail: Thanks again!

Semper Fi!

So basically what you are saying is....
You want to serve your country with honor, benefit from the honor and discipline that was provided and "do your part" just as long as you don't have to travel over seas, get to stay home except a one week vacation per month, and most importantly your freedom that you would be providing for yourself and others is not worth your life.

Support our troops that have the hardest, dirtiest, and most thankless job this country can offer and they don't complain and they are proud and thankful to do it.

As it was said above, stay a civilian and support them from the sidelines instead of doing this for the glory. This is not the mold our Corps is made of thank god.

and to bradster76, Thank you for your service and dedication as well as all of your sacrifices over the years. (ARMY=Ain't A Real Marine Yet) just kidding :hail: Thanks again!

Semper Fi!

WAR IS HORRIBLE! Lets leave it at that, k?

There are a lot of occupations you could have in the military. Most of them aren't on the front lines.

The risk of being killed would be relatively low outside of the infantry.

In light of this question being answered in many ways, and this being a photography forum, I am refraining from getting into this further because it's not a debate, nor the place to talk about it. If this was a political forum maybe but it's not. Only ugly things can happen from this continuing here. I agree as mentioned above that this thread can get heated very easily and this may not be the appropriate forum to talk about this. Many points have been made from both sides, I hope the information has served a purpose. Whatever you decide to do, and for whatever reasons, I wish you luck in your journey. Enjoy it as it's all an experience you can reflect on and learn from.

I'm not looking for glory! I want to serve my country and LIVE! Is that sooo hard to understand?!

Not gonna happen, cupcake. Death and honor comes with the uniform. Once you go to your last trip to MEPS, that's it. Bootcamp and then training, and the battlefield.

You wanna serve the country and live? Work at a resteraunt and serve shrimp and cocktails. If you join the mil, death is always with you.

Not gonna happen, cupcake. Death and honor comes with the uniform. Once you go to your last trip to MEPS, that's it. Bootcamp and then training, and the battlefield.

You wanna serve the country and live? Work at a resteraunt and serve shrimp and cocktails. If you join the mil, death is always with you.

I have to say I typed out a reply and rambled on. Then I thought to myself, "What a novel idea, serve in the military and not want to die...Why didn't others think of this? We should send this memo to the Commander in Chief, and General Patreas. Then I thought, why post this...There are people so far out of it, my posting this in an online forum won't help them....Anyways, nicely said brad. Short and sweet.

Semper Fi! Do or Die! Ooorah-Ooorah-Ooorah!

He wants to join the National Guard so that he can serve his country without being at any risk. You know, because there are no National Guard in Iraq *cough sarcasm cough*

This thread is even sillier than the one about the kid who bought a stolen camera, and wants to be told its ok.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back